V81 Electric Fan

AKA 50th Anniversary Defender 90 with 4.0 litre V8

It has the normal viscous fan behind the radiator but also an electric fan in front which never seems to come on. Of course now I can't remember if t ever did esp as someone told me it only comes on with the air con in extreme conditions.

Does anyone know how it is controlled?

Reply to
hugh

Renault Espace with two fans in front of the radiator had problems

As they were not protected by the Radiator the fans use to sieze

Then burnt the wiring out to the fans

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

Think mine, there are 2, are on all the time the A/C is. Seem to recall though there's a Temp switch in the aircon circuit someplace, which is probably TFd in mine, I was just happy it airconned at all, when it finally condescended to.

Reply to
GbH

Definitely the A/C fan, comes on when required for the cooling, assume controlled by a sensor somewhere, sorry can't be more help though.

Reply to
Andy

In message , Andy writes

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll check out the fan itself first by sticking 12v onto it. I did have an earthing problem in that area with the front driving lamps so maybe that's got something to do with it, And if we ever get a barbecue summer I'll switch on the aircon and see what happens.

Reply to
hugh

According to my RAVE they come on under 3 conditions.

  1. when Water Temp >100C
  2. when A/C on.
  3. when ignition off and Water Temp ? 110C. So 1. is if its overheating? 2. is A/C running 3. is you've stopped, Water is hot, but no engine driven fan to cool it. Now that's what is meant, it's anyone's guess as to what happens in practice, most likely they won't run at all, in which case check the A/C fuse in the engine compartment fuses.
Reply to
GbH

Hugh,

The fan(s) in front of the radiator are for the air con, as previously reported.

Aside from the temperature sensors that can trigger them there are low and high pressure switches for the air con refrigerant - normally integral with the condenser (I think) - that can prevent the fans from running. Electrically there are relays, etc., that also need to function correctly too.

HTH

Reply to
SteveG