Vacuum line resulting in loss of servo assistance (200Tdi)

People Hi,

Last weekend while driving so as to attend an offroading meeting I have noticed that the servo assistance on my 1994 evented CT Discovery 200Tdi was failing after the second application of brakes (stepping on the brake pedal for a second time in plain language...)

The symptom was even worse when the engine was idling.

When driving at a proper speed or with the engine running at more than 1000 to 1200 rpm there was proper servo assistance but not if the brakes were used for a third or more time repeatedly. In this case after a few seconds the servo assistance was there again but once more only for up to three application of the brakes.

I drove very carefully to the next parking space and started examining what was going on.

First thing to do was to remove the main vacuum line from the vacuum pump (on the LHS of the block while facing the engine) and spray a bit of GT85 inside (GT85 is a lubricating etc spray such as theWD40 but also has teflon in it thus providing this spray with excellent lubricating characteristics, something that WD40 is not so good at) I then checked the brake reservoir cap and found that it was nice and tight in its place. I then checked the full length of the vacuum line and its entry point to the servo. I did so by visually inspecting the hose and then also spraying a bit of GT85 and looking for any possible "sucking" of the spray at any point. While doing so I noted that the spray "cloud" was getting a bit uneven close to the area where the vacuum line has a T connector which supplies vacuum to a smaller diameter soft rubber hose that provides the heater/ventilation box inside the passenger cabin with vacuum for the recirculation valve.

So I closely inspected the soft rubber hose and found out that it was raptured at the point where the plastic T connecter was inserted into it. Apparently the years (the car has left the production line on August 1993) have taken their toll on the rubber which had cracked at that point. The car was washed thoroughly with a very strong professional pressure washer the day before and most probably the jet of water has managed to cut the dried out rubber hose at this point.

So next time you appear to be losing the servo assistance from your brakes remember to also check the soft and thinner rubber hose supplying vacuum to the heater/ventilation box on 200Tdi engined Discos.

Hope this will help somebody.

Take care Pantelis Giamarellos

Pantelis Giamarellos

Good info.

Thanks.

DaveB

Reply to
kbv

always glad to be of assistance.

This discussion group has provided a wealth of information and tips when I was a Landy novice. I believe that the least I can do is to share whatever knowledge I may have with all those who have shared theirs with me when I need it.

Take care everybody

Pantelis Giamarellos

Pantelis Giamarellos

Hi Pantelis, My 200TDi did that for four years, I always thought it was normal. It never failed an MoT......

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Tony Hi,

The funny (and safe) thing is that the vacuum is enough for a couple of good brake applications. But being able to apply brakes for more than two times is something that can be of assistance (pun intended) !!!!

Take care everyboby Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Yeia sou Pantelis I was interested in your post as I have a 96 td300 Disco with poor brakes. I've worked hard to try to get the brakes to work at a reasonable level, I take them apart every year and fully service them. I checked the vacuum line but can't find any leaks. One think I've noticed is that the servo only holds the vacuum for a few minutes after turning the engine off - our Renault holds the vacuum for at least 12 hours. Is this significant?

TonyH

Reply to
Tony

A few minutes certainly isn't ideal but is unlikely to cause any noticeable issues. Have you ever replaced the brake pads, and if so with what sort?

Reply to
EMB

Did your checking of the vacuum hose include the rubber bung where the hose enters the servo? There may also be an additional plug in the servo casing - is that OK?

What level of vacuum are you getting? Difficult to measure without a gauge but the pump might not be up to the job any more.

What does 'fully service' mean? Are the pistons in good nick and moving freely? Rear brakes on these and RRC tend to go downhill rapidly unless used in a manner than gets the rear ones working. Usually with light usage only the front ones do any significant work.

Reply to
Dougal

Tony Hi,

this sounds like a leaking servo unit.

Land Rover sells a repair kit for the servo so it may be a good idea to take a look at it. But may I suggest having a second look and maybe spraying some WD40 or similar around the vacuum hoses while someone is pressing the brake pedal repeatedly? This way you MAY be able to see of there is some vacuum loss somewhere.

Hope it is something easy and cost free to repair.