Valuing my Limited Edition Defender Black 110

Hi. I hope this is within the bounds of the group to ask this question. I want to advertise my Defender Black double-cab in the Midland Auto-trader and as I'm out of touch with used Defender prices, I would appreciate a guide.

I have owned it from new. It was registered in late 2002. I have covered

69,500 miles but the motor is in extremely good condition, having only been used as my private car. It has been garaged and has been kept in pristine condition.

For those who aren't familiar with the Limited Edition 'black', there were only 150 long-wheelbase double-cabs made in the UK and 100 short-wheelbase. They have a very high specification and mine has everything that was an optional extra on the County Pack at the time, except the cold-climate option.

The interior is very nice indeed. The leather seats are much nicer than the more recent 'XS' model in my opinion. These are black full leather-faced, with white stitching. There are aluminium gear levers and dash instruments. In my case I have kept the seats and carpets covered since new, so they look like new. There is a CD player also and a central leather-covered cubby box with space for cups.

The exterior also had the limited-edition treatment. Both models were painted in Java black. It has silver chequer-plate all round, with a rear bumper. There is also a front cage around the windscreen and side steps with chequer-plate.

Other features include ABS braking, traction control, alloys, black rear hood, electric windows, remote central locking and alarm, tinted glass, air-conditioning

The price new was £26,000 incl. VAT. There are two good pictures of one here...

... and many more here ...

Matt

You have a genuinely rare vehicle there (how many people actually know about the Defender Black's and what they are?), and it's a very high spec vehicle (they all are). I suppose the question is really how much extra value does the spec and rarity add. Rarity in your case quite likely has financial implications, whereas the "normal" LR rarity (e.g. G-WAC Discovery's) adds little or no value. The difficult bit is that Defenders are worth what someone is prepared to pay for them, rather than what Glass's Guide says, so you get 110 Station Wagons fetching daft money, and 110 Hard Top's worth bugger all, unless you are lucky enough to find the right buyer at the right time. With "ordinary" cars there will always be another one come along, but Defender Blacks don't come on the market every day! So in the end you'll just have to decide what it owes you, advertise it, and see what happens. There is a Defender Black web site, but I seem to have mislaid the link! If only I had a few quid spare.........

Richard Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

There is a Defender Black web site, but I seem to have mislaid the link!

That'll be the one in the original post then :-)

A.

Reply to
Andy