VDO rev counter

I see Scorpion and others are selling the VDO "diesel" rev counter, I assume this is fed from the alternator?

Anyone got one, and/or know if it can be calibrated to suit the application/vehicle?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The VDO altetrnator tachometers I have used in the past have a calibration screw on the back. What are you looking to fit it to Austin?

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:25:57 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

Ford Di turbo in the LDV. Provided it's got some sort of asjutment, it should work OK. Some applications do indeed have a rev counter driven off the alternator. The transit had a rev counter, the LDV doesn't, and I wish it did...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There may well be a tach pulse wire on the injector pump. I'll have a dig through my documentation and see if I can find any reference to one.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:58:40 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

There are a silly number of wires going to it... it's an EPIC controlled electronic one.

meanwhile, the previous bus went to a new owner... Said owner, unsatisfied with just the one main ignition key and the worn ignition lock, took it to the Ford dealer (the master key is long-since disappeared) to have a new lock fitted and new keys programmed.

It's still there. This is a week or more ago. Apparently, they can't get it to work again. They even replaced the PATS (passive immobiliser) ECU, and they still can't get it to accept any keys. Personally, I reckon they screwed up somewhere along the line and now can't recover it, although it beggars belief that their computer gear has no option to wipe everything and start from scratch. Basically PATS has to recognise the EPIC engine ECU and the key in use and agree to allow the engine to operate.

The essence of this though, is that it was working with the old, worn-out lock/key combo quite happily when taken in there. According to me, it's now their problem to make it work again.

Anyone know the legal implications of this? If I take a vehicle to have a new ignition lock fitted, I don't expect them to kill it... and if they do, I expect them to make it go again (at their expense) and or compensate me for the loss of the vehicle if it's really dead...

I've now got to phone the dealer, and suggest the ways *I* can think of to revive it without the immobiliser (and on a 12-year-old vehicle, the immobiliser is less relevant).

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Tacho output is from the ECU - and my diagram gives no indication of what sort of signal it puts out. I guess your easiest solution will indeed be a tachometer running from the alternator.

Agreed.

It certainly smells of lack of due care to me.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:54:16 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

Spoke to them (nicely) this morning, at the behest of the current owner, who's a good friend of mine. The bloke there doesn't know why the ECU won't accept new keys, but it won't. He doesn't sound a happy bunny... According to me, they should be able to fit a 1992-1995 period engine ECU and that will work without the immobiliser signal, since they didn't start fitting immobilisers 'til the model change in 1995. Failing that, a mechanical pump from a pre-92 engine would also work. Garage bloke can't get (a new) one, though, and isn't bothered to look for a s/h part.

we'll leave legal threats til later, in the meantime, I've fired off some requests to the dismantlers network for parts.

Reply to
Austin Shackles