veg oil mix + series fuel tank capacity

I'm new to this veggie oil stuff.

If im running it in an unmodified 2.5 n/a D what is a sensible mix for this time of year?

Will it be happy starting on 50/50 oil/derv or should i stick to something like 40/60?

And what is the capacity of a series fuel tank? Is it 10gal?/45litres?

I have got 20L of makros finest oil (~70ppl) and was wondering how much real derv i should mix it with?

Reply to
Tom Woods

What fuel pump does it have? If it's the Lucas Cav one it will really need some heating to prevent over burdening the pump internals. I've toyed with this on the 110 but at the mo I'm firmly of the opionion that a 200 tdi transplant is the most sensible option not only for the better economy and power but as it will happily run without further tweaking on the engine / fuel system.

You can run it without mods but it will cost you for a new pump what you save in fuel in the meantime so it's self defeating for a TD

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Using 25% Veg ( rapeseed) in the Disco (200TDi) no problems I still have the trial mix in the garage its been sat since November mixed 50/50 with no sign of separation I think it about time to bung it in the tank and call that safe enough. bear in mind the lowest temperature in that time has been an overnight -3C.

Derek currently drilling out spot welds in the Disco 300 floor

Reply to
Derek

btw Tesco's cheapest oil is 52p litre tho' rumours are of a maximum purchase of 10litres per visit Derek

Reply to
Derek

just found that out... a tesco extra has just opened at the top of my road too... will check it out and see how much they will let me buy :)

Got the makro stuff as my mate works there and i am seeing him later so its no hassle going to the shop to buy it!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I have seen reports of cav pump problems caused by not removing the Methoxide when cooking up a batch from used oil (the MO buggering the seals ) but I don't think the increase of viscosity in a 25% mix ( that I've noticed) should be an issue tho' really needs a proper viscosity test to be certain keeping to lowish concentrations is not likely to critically reduce the lubricative properties of the fuel .

Derek

You not getting a Quattro Lee ? :-)

Reply to
Derek

Lee_D wrote:?

Not sure what pump it is. standard sherpa one.

mine aint a TD - just a D

Reply to
Tom Woods

If it helps I am running 50/50 in my 200tdi now up to 2K miles on

50/50. Was running 75Derv 25 Oil I think its better at 50/50

Regards

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

Thanks john and derek. will maybe stick half of it in first and run 25% before easing it up to 50%

Reply to
Tom Woods

Front tank (under seat) is 10 gallons, 45litres Rear tank (4dr Station wagon, LWB 2.6 or Stage 1 V8) is 16 gallons, 73 litres

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Flippin 'eck 70p/l! Hasn't the price of veggie oil shot up in the last year? I'm pretty damn sure it was nearer 35p/l 12 months ago.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Make flow cup. Use a washing up liquid bottle, cut the bottom off, turn over, fill with diesel: time the time to empty. Fill with veg mix, time the time.

Flow time is directly proportional to viscosity. Try and make sure the liquids are at the same temperature.

We have the real Ubbelhode viscometers at work, if anyone is really, really interested in knowing !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Hmm, not so sure your memory's not playing tricks there, I used to use veg oil many years ago, over 5 years ago, and even back then it was

60p/litre. Heating oil is something in the 30-40p/litre range though.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In message , Derek writes

Depends on the store and the assistant - I've been told 10 bottles only on a few occasions at one of our local Tescos but have bought 30 before now at the same store without problems as well. The cheapest brand seems to be "Pura" which is 100% rapeseed (lowest viscosity veg oil that's available at a decent price, so that's good) and varies from 52-58p/l.

Running on 50% mix in the 110 300Tdi without any problems for the last 3 months even with some sub-zero starts.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

AOL, same as I do ... but I vary buying Pura from Asda, Sainsburys and Tesco, who all (very close together) seem to outdo each other for cheapness ... ;)

Only problem we found was that it needs the fuel filter changing after a couple of hundred miles after first putting the veg oil in.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Possibly dogey memory, I run a TD5 and haven't plucked up the courage to put any veg oil in it yet... But I have been looking at the 20l drums or boxes in CostCo and those prices have definately gone up by at least 50% in the last year, this is far above inflation. Tesco and the like will be another 25% or more on top of CostCo prices...

40.59p/l + 5% VAT at Christmas. This is from our local supplier who is always a 1p/l cheaper than any other supplier, they were quoting 41.?? to 43p/l at that time.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Its still a 30ppl saving over the proper stuff so i'm not complaining.

Except that the macro containers are shit and I have now got oil all over my shoes!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Well you could be right I suppose, I don't think that veg oil prices have risen linearly but have shot up and down. When I was running on veg oil, tesco etc were *cheaper* than costco and so on, and even cheaper than it would cost for a 1,000 litre delivery of reclaimed oil, without taking delivery costs into account!

In November mine was 38p/litre for kerosene ex vat, so not too bad. Still bought some thick shirts, heavy trousers and a body warmer instead of turning it up though, cheapskate that I am ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

What pump have you got though? Until you work this out an go google the pump to be sure you're really best not getting too excited about any prices. If it was that simple there wouldn't be a tank full of normal derv in the 110.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I'm assuming it is the lucas one since i cant find reference to owt elese on the 2.5.

There isnt a clear consensus as to it being good or bad. I can find people saying 'dont do it' and people saying 'ive run a 50/50 mix for

15000 miles', and converter places saying you can do it with twin tanks.

Its not my main car, im not going to go over 50/50.

I'm not going to be hugely upset if it breaks - I shall either get it rebuilt again or swap the engine or pump.

Reply to
Tom Woods