veg oil mix + series fuel tank capacity

I do actually have a spare fuel tank, so might get a changeover switch and a heat exchanger thingy and do it properly.

Reply to
Tom Woods

works -

-
second tank -
a 2nd tank -

Tom Woods

Good o, don't forget to also get a change over for the return line which is quite a mind boggling complex affair last time I looked under the bonnet of the 110 TD and not as straight forward as a cut and splice. You will of course be au-fait with the one on yours having had the engine / pump out in the past. Didn't you have the pump rebuilt not so long back if I recall correctly.

8 mm microbore pipe made in to an exchanger wrapped around the manifold is a concept I've considered but not explored. Not really helped by diesels running so cool - short trips and all.
Reply to
Lee_D

If it helps I happen to know that the Jaguar XJ 4.2 lump has a cylinderical oil cooler for the autobox fitted in front of the rad. This incidentally works for various applications such as heating water in a 101 for the sink / shower (using a reserviour tank)...... warming veg oil etc etc.

On my TD (I've just checked) the top hose on the block has an ID of 38/39 mm and on the Jag cooler the ID required for the hose would be 44 mm which is the right way around as at least restriction on the water system is minimised. A couple of Rony-Flex hoses with appropriate ends and you have the heating aspect sorted. Martyn_B I happen to know purchased on of the coolers on ebalg so they are about.

On the 110 TD the fuel lines need intercepting at the following points.

Feed Return from injector pump Return from Injector rail

There are fancy taps that do all three but last time I looked the price was in three figures. Of course a solenoid arrangement could be set up using a different filter bolted to the bulkhead, perhaphs using a Pug filter as some of these have a heater built in which would help even further.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

hmm.. Nice idea - Ive got an autobox oil cooler off a saab (fits in a radiator pipe) in the shed.

6 way leccy switchover valve -
£42. can just split under the seatbox in my case near the tank. Off to hinstock tommorrow to get a bit of exhaust (i touched mine today to change a gasket and it broke!) so will see if they have a box of mil petrol switches to sell cheaply (could use 2 of them)

Ive done quite a bit of reading now - and everything seems to advise against SVO in lucas pumps because being thicker it doest lube the pump as much. However - I dont want to run SVO! - I'm quite happy just mixing it 50/50 or less with derv - in which case the viscosity shouldnt be quite as bad as SVO. Will have to experiment with some fuel mixes out of the landy and see how much difference it really makes. Perhaps i can add a bit of petrol to to thin it some more?

Not sure i can be bothered to do dual tanks or not. erring towards not as im trying to concentrate on the 101!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Lubricity does not depend on viscosity. Higher viscosities won't make it around whatever internal lube path dino-diesal is supposed to pass through.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

All the converters seem to say its fine to use SVO in a lucas pump if you run dual tanks and heat the SVO before using it (and start and stop on straight derv). I assume that simply heating it will only change the viscosity? So - perhaps they dont mean that it is a lack of lubrication but instead too much of a strain on the things internals?

I wonder just how much thicker fuel gets when it is 50/50 compared to pure derv?

Reply to
Tom Woods

A quick and dirty test I've just done in my garage with Canola oil and a paint viscosity cup shows that 50/50 diesel/canola is 2.7 times as viscous as straight diesel (27 degrees ambient temperature).

A quick heat up of the straight Canola oil showed that at 80 degrees (as hot as I wanted to play with) it was still more than twice as viscous as diesel at ambient temperature.

I'm off to the supermarket now to replace the oil I've nicked out of the kitchen to do this. At 48p/litre for diesel here it's not worth bothering with veg oil as fuel.

Reply to
EMB

I'll measure it for you if you like. DERV is likely to be less temperature dependent than SVO

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

That would be great! will dig out some containers of each and we can try various levels of mix.

Does petrol act as a thinner to veggie oil too (better than diesel?) I know you can run something like 10% petrol in a diesel and ive seen it mentioned as being used to thin fuel but no actual results of having done it..

Tom (basking in the fumes of POR tank sealant despite having every window open!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On or around Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:50:20 +0000, steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

Biggest problem with veg oil seems to be that someone's worked out that people are buying lots, and therefore the price is going up. I've not had any success with getting credible volumes at anything like cheap enough to be worth the hassle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles