Veg Oil Tax Update

All,

A few weeks ago I mentioned that the tax on using biofuels and other fuel substitutes (veg oil in my case) was to be removed from those using / producing less than 2500 litre per year.

Well today I got a letter from HM Revenue & Customs to inform me that I am to be removed from the list of 'registered producers' and so now do not have to pay the extra duty.

Great news! So am now running at around 75% cheapest veg oil mixed with diesel.

RichardB

Reply to
RichardB

Hmm, so what does this actually mean? Is it now legal to adulterate your fuel with just about anything and not have to pay the additional tax, e.g. cutting diesel with kerosene?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Now thats muddied the water do I keep Kato( Disco 200tdi ) and run on Veg oil ( got a pal with a chippy) or then again do I keep the project Rangie and run on LPG nerrrrrrrrrrrrr ! Derek

Reply to
Derek

I agree, all seems a bit weird to me. How do they (or you) prove you use/produce less than 2500 litres a year? - that's about 35 fill ups in my estimation. At one point I was filling my car up every 2 days for a period of 6 months, so would have gone through that much in no time - but I can't imagine how they would prove that I filled it with veggie oil *every* time.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

adulterate

additional

time -

veggie

MOT's now record the mileage in a computer retrievable format. The DVLA know what cars are registered to you. Look over your left shoulder and you'll see Big Brother

(OK I know it doesn't work for cars not needing an MOT and for cars not registered to you but used by you)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Good question... Look forward to an answer.

Cutting with kero sold as hesting oil wouild be interesting as that has a specific exclusion "not for use as road fuel" OWTTE.

Cutting with SVO is an interesting proporsistion, I'll have to look at the price of the drums of cooking oil in CostCo or Makro a little more closely. Though my biggest worry would be the affects SVO might have on the fuel system.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The way I understand the rules is that you still need to register the HM C&E as a producer / user of Bio stuff. If you use less than K2500 litres in a year then no tax need be paid.

RichardB

Reply to
RichardB

Last time I checked, even getting "reclaimed" stuff delivered in 1,000 litre quantities was more expensive per litre than tootling off down to the local supermarket and emptying the shelf. The cash 'n' carry places were also more expensive, but getting it in 20 litre cans was more convenient than having to deal with all the small plastic bottles from the stupormarket.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Got veg oil today for 50P PER litre so cutting is cost effective now that no duty needs to be paid. I'll have a look at the paperwork I received to see if heating oil etc. is acceptable.

RichardB

Reply to
RichardB

I ran my Pajero on the stuff neat, it loved it ran better,smoother more power, only hassle was the fuel filter blocked a few days after the first fill due to the SVO "de gunking" the lines and tank, new filter and hey presto, donught mobile was fine !! await the flames but it really was an exellent little machine (2.8 SWB with MANY toys) just the fuel economy was VERY bad, 16-18 mpg was the norm, booting it more like 12, my V8 Disco did more, and oooh the sound :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Have you tried any Asian Supermarkets if you have any your way, most sell cooking oil of various types in huge drums. The new huge Sira Cash and Carry in Southall has a whole isle of the stuff.

ps don't take the wife she'll end up with a trolley full of bargains. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I'm guessing that heating kero has a dye detectable in small quantities by the 'boy's own olourimetery set' used by the transport ministry wheel-tappers , in the same way TVO and other forms of red diesel are. Once the nice weather arrives we get them dipping the fuel tanks of trucks on the airport cargo centre to make sure we are good little bunnies and are using duty paid fuel. Derek

Reply to
Derek

That's an interesting one.

If you have a vehicle that will run on 'Avgas' is it legal to use in road going vehicles.

Because the duty is zero...

The 300 Tdi will run on Avgas in its military form because that's what they supply to the army, it being a sight easier to ship loads of one type of fuel rather than lots of little amounts of several types...

Now:

  1. Can ordinary mortals get hold of the stuff in less than Jumbo Jet quantities

  1. Is its use legal?

  2. Will it work in civilian model engines or do they need some sort of change?
Reply to
William Black

Avgas is like petrol. Avtur is turbine fuel, which is more like diesel. I see no reason why a diesel engine wouldn't run on it.

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey

Aye... and I believe with a some what higher octane than unleaded.

Where does "Jet A1" fit in with "Avtur"? Jet A1 is a kerosene or heating oil like substance and is lighter (28sec) than diesel (35sec).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, it has a pale yellow dye and other invisible tracers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You're correct, Dave - AVTUR is a kerosene not a diesel.

For those who want to delve further:

Dougal

Yep, but AVGAS 100LL still has a very small percentage of lead, it'll knacker your cats if you have any. It's around 108 octane, by the way. Last time I looked (about a month ago) AVGAS was around £1.15 per litre, without any road duty!!!!

It's more or less the same as Kerosene but "narrow cut", with certain additives. Kero is a "wide-cut" fuel. Basically it's better refined than straight Kero.

Jet A-1 is the same as AVTUR but without certain anti-icing inhibitors that the military like to use.

Jet-A = Kerosene but higher refinement. Jet A-1 = Jet-A + a lubricity additive. Jet A-1 + Anti-icing inhibitors = NATO F-34 (AVTUR) = JP8(american military designation)

TD5 and 300TDi will not run for long on Avtur...........

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Jet A-1 is Avtur

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jet A-1 is the same as AVTUR, it is to DEF STAN 91-91 (Jet A-1), which was formerly DERD 2494 (AVTUR), also NATO Code F35.

Jet A is similar to A-1 but has a higher freezing piont.

JP8 is the same as Jet A-1 plus anit-icing additives and is to DEF STAN

91-87 AVTUR/FSII (formerly DERD 2453),. NATO Code F-34.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff