Very OT - handycam movie files

Completely OT, but...

I have some mini-DVDs from my holiday (Sony Handycam) which I want to store on the PC and play or edit from there. If I insert the mini-DVD in the computer I can play the movies using Media Player, but when I copy them to the C drive all I can see are a number of small files *.ifo and *.bup, and some large ones *.vob. None of these will play off the hard drive - Windoze doesn't recognise the file format.

Does anyone know a way of converting these files to mpeg, avi, mov or whatever, or can anyone point me to a site or resource which might help?

Thanks

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Nero can do this.

Though there is also a variety of shareware and freeware DVD ripping software out there (unless it has all been suppressed by the recording industry)

Reply to
Larry

If you just want to play them use VLC Media Player its free and will play anything.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

They are DVD files. Double click the the Video_TS file, and the default player should open. However if you have Windows Media player 9 or less it won't play, you need vers 10 that can be downloaded from Microsoft, but be aware that there have been some "no sound" issues with this version. Best to download any DVD player...e.g. Power DVD...Google for "DVD player" and you should get plenty of free one's to pick from. Leo

Reply to
Leonard

Grab your self a copy of DVD-Shrink, its Freeware and amongsth many other useful features it can back up a DVD to Hard Disk. The .vob files etc that you see are the DVD Movie file structure.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

There's been quite a few pieces of software which you could use, and since this shouldn't be a region-locked DVD I wouldn't expect you to have big problems. There's been several video editor programs given away on magazine cover-CDs. If you see one, grab it.

This does sound like a standard DVD file set.

Reply to
David G. Bell

so Larry was, like...

Wow, thanks a lot everyone. Lots of things to play with here.

Cheers

Reply to
Richard Brookman