VIBRATING SERIES

hiya guys n gals,,,

what could be causing my series to vibrate??

stationary with engine running, rev it hardish --novibration,

driving at 45mph vibrations can be felt- knock it into neutral-- still vibrations can be felt.

fitted with overdrive- diahatsu 2.8 n/a

this is not doing my bones any good.

any advice would be well appreciated .

could it be tyres, wheelbearings, shocks, bushes,

also what bushes fit the front of leaf springs, are they standard chasis bushes and how do you replace them

cheers

Andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

Andy posted ...

Yes .. could be all the above .. and in that order ... though the shocks and bushes mostly provide much less vibration. I'd also chuck in, between wheel bearings and shocks, all drive shafts and half shafts, UJ's etc etc ..

I'd start with tyres, get them checked for wear and properly balanced. As these are the most likely, IME, then I'd not bother looking at anything else until I'd done this.

Then check wheel bearings, maybe renew them and again, do nothing more until you've tried the 'fix' ..

Then check shafts, UJ's/CV's and halfshafts for wear etc and again, do one 'fix' at a time so you know what caused the vibes. Make sure you give parts time to 'bed' in and time for you to drive enough so that the vibes can be felt .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yep, I'd bet on tyres too. Might be worth jacking up each wheel in turn and checking for bumps etc on each tyre and while you are about it for bearing problems, spin the wheel with a finger on the axle end to feel for vibration and see what happens. Also you can check for wheels that are buckled at the same time.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Many moons ago in a land far, far away..............

We had some lovely thick red mud (red concrete) stuck to the insides of the wheels which caused some amazing wobbles - we thought that we'd broken the chassis the way the bloody thing was leaping around - a pre production Holden Jackaroo (Isuzu Trooper). There were a few Japanese engineer's legs poking out from under the vehicle as we searched for the problem - of course no one looked at the easy fix of chipping the mud off. Then along comes the other two Jackaroos with the same problem!! There was a lot of "cricking" of cameras, and I'm sure if we'd had a fax machine there would have been a flurry of faxes to Japan reporting the problem.

Along comes some old "bushy" driving a Toyota Landcruiser - who diagnosed the problem through his open window.

A red face (mine), a lot of bowing (Japanese engineers) later, along with a few pokes with some screwdrivers had the "concrete" back on the road.

Reply to
Roger Martin

Heheheh, local knowledge helps ... a lot .. ;)

We use a slurry pond area near us that sets like this too. We have a power washer, but it won't touch the goo until it's been hosed down and soaked for an hour or so .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

As well as everybody elses suggestions, check the sliding joint on the prop shaft. These can wear and cause a lot of vibrations! Mine went, and it was pretty nasty. If you want to test this, then take off your back prop, and go for a drive with the landy in 4wheel drive (hence FWD only).

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Roger Martin" wrote in news:bub3ic$fj1cn$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-109728.news.uni-berlin.de:

OK, it's not for Series, but it might help!

Go to

for a few more ideas.

Derry

Reply to