Warning lamp?

Hi, as I drove home with my recently purchased 88" Series 2A -66 Land Rover I noticed that a warning lamp started to light up once in a while. I haven't managed to find out what it indicates. It is pinkish and situated low at the left side of the instrument board outside the multiinstrument and speedometer. The dashboard I belive comes from a Series 3 (I also belive).

Can anyone tell me what the light is indicating? I just changed alternator and fan belt... that is the only ting that has been done last days. Oil pressure is correct, by the way. I may also inform that it is a diesel engine in the car.

Dag

Reply to
Dag Kvammen

So, a IIA with SIII Dash (maybe), and a diesel?

It's possible that the light could be for anything really - depending upon who did the conversion.

Main thing to check - as you have already done, is oil. I would have thought that the alternator could have been the prime suspect - however, as you say, that's been changed. I wonder if the new fanbelt may perhaps be slipping slightly?

I would offer to go out and look at my SIII - but it hasn't got a SIII dash in it... :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

We might need a bit more help.

Does it come on when the ignition is turned on but not running? - if so its likely the alternator charge circuit.

Does it come on only when the engine is running and another accessory is on - lights, radio, heater (haha) fan, brake lights? - likely to be a short circuit somewhere in one of those circuits.

Regards and happy intermittent fault finding.

Reply to
Roger Martin

Tomorrow I willl start looking. Changed the fanbelt today as I suspected slipping, but I may have to look at the alternator again, it was second-hand. I have another and may try that one to see if that will help.

Dag

Reply to
Dag Kvammen

It started as I drove home today and even if i shut down the accessories it still glowed/blinked. Will probably have to take down the panel to track where it comes from. This may be interesting ;-)

Dag

Reply to
Dag Kvammen

I know this may sound a little too obvious, but...

Is it not possible to ask the last owner?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Could be a main beam indicator warning? Could also be a loose wire somewhere... IIa's have very little in the way of warning lamp's / gauges as standard. Most dont even have a temperature gauge. Usually just Amp meter, main beam & choke / cold start indicators. Could you take a digital photo showing the location of the offending indicator & post back the url?

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Might sound obvious but its not low fuel warning from sender unit is it, mine comes on at quarter tank

Reply to
mtb

what dash have you got in your sIII??

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

None. Just a few instruments from the SIII

I hate the SIII dash actually. When I put the rollcage in, I thought it a good opportunity to get rid of the dash. There's a nice view of the bulkhead and wiper linkages :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

That was just too obvious to be true... but it was true. My fuelmeter is incorrect so I use the tripmeter to keep record of how much distance I have driven. I usually fill her up at 360 km and this time I had only driven 220 km, but had forgotten the possibility that 240 km towing a trailer up very steep hills could lead to high consumption. I had 2 cm diesel left at the tank when I checked this morning.

Thank you all for trying to help.

Dag

Reply to
Dag Kvammen

On or around Thu, 02 Oct 2003 09:33:53 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

well, the 110's is similar, and while I'd not describe it as a thing of beauty and a joy to behold, I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it either...

Mind, which ever silly bugger decided that the steering column shroud would not be removable without taking the steering wheel off was a git.

Mind, as it happened, I wanted the wheel off to fit my nice new non-floppy dip/indicator/horn stalk wot came from Paddock's yesterday, best £19.50 I've spent in a while.

also treated it to a new pair of spots, to replace the ones that got smashed on a rover 400...

Today's job if it's fine is to change the noisy CV joint and the swivel seal on the same side - I suspect the one accounts for the other, it's probably be run without oil or something. Strangely, the new joint comes with a small tube of CV joint grease, or so I assume. For a Land Rover, which has either oil or swivels grease in the housing. Swivel grease ex-Paddock in a squeezy bottle, not a funny sachet like LR's, 's called "Britpart", dunno if it's any good.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It sounds like an "incoming scud missile early warning light".

Ed PS Can't you trace the wires back at all to see where they go?

To reply, remove my appendix

Reply to
Ed

On or around Fri, 03 Oct 2003 07:53:28 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

should've known it wouldn't be that easy...

misread the axle number when I ordered it, that'll teach me to look for axle numbers in the dark with a torch.

'snot 20L135658, it's 20L13565B

and thus a 23-spline, not a 33-spline. bugger.

interested to note that the later (i.e. 33-spline) one has a smaller diameter half-shaft, as well as more splines.

correct item on order, and a hub seal which appears to be ineffectual.

Reply to
Austin Shackles