Water leak near the roof/windshield

We have a resilent water leak problem with our discovery 2003. We took it back to the dealer for the third time. We hope it is fixed, but while in the dealer there is anohter discovery with water leak problem. The mechanic ran a garden hose with water flowing continuously on the top of that Discovery. Is the water leak a wide spread problem with the discovery? If any body with similar experience please share them.

Reply to
baracooda

I don't think it's a common problem - on Defenders maybe, but not Discoverys. Where is the water appearing inside the car? The two most common causes are water coming in from the air conditioning condenser, due to a blocked drain, and water coming in from the sunroof because of wrongly fitted seals and/or blocked gutters.

David

Reply to
David French

The water drips from the roof right on to the dasshbard on both driver and passenger side. The service counter representative also mention that some debris caused improper drainage. Any truth to that statement? Why desing a draingage system where it is possible for some debris to cause water dripping right on to the dashboard. One day we took a fast wide turn while getting off the highway, about a 1/3 of dixie cup pouring out right near the rear view mirror. The deal had to finally replace the entire windshield. The Discover suppose to be the all weather tough SUV but...

Reply to
baracooda

It is a common fault on the first generation Discovery series 1 vehicles (the ones that have not made it to the USA) but also on the second generation of the Discovery series 1.

The cure to the problem involves either re-applying silicon windshield sealant on the upper two corners of the elastic weatherstrip sealing and holding the windshield to the bodyshell (first generation Disco series 1 with non glued windscreens) or re-applying the silicon glue to the windscreen (second generation Disco series 1) something which is far more difficult than the first case.

Another known source of water ingress from the roof is the weatherstrips of the alpine windows. Fixing that problem also invovles re-applying the sealant between the weatherstrip and the bodyshell.

I guess Land Rover workers love our ladies wet. (kinky !!!!!!!!!!!)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Update: The problem water leak still persists after 3 dealer service visit. It is currently in the dealer for the 4th times! does the lemon law apply in this case? how water proof are the instruments on the dashboards? Is this the tip of the iceberg problem? The head technician told me that there are two more fixing routines they can do... Since the carfax of this vehicle might mention the water leakage problem, I gues s that can't be good for the resell value... Should I inform my auto insurance firm about this problem, and let them fight for a replacement or a refund?

Reply to
baracooda

I just had a problem with a new Defender leaking water in from above the roof liner. It took the dealer 3 attempts to cure and only at my insistant nagging. They tried resealing the windscreen and ensuring the drain holes were clear, but as you may guess, if this was the problem the water would not be coming from behind the roof liner (splashing the dash on both sides).

On the 3rd visit I demanded that they take the roof liner out and look for a leak. It was easy for them to spot it!!! Since I have no sunroof fitted (what's the point with air con!) it had to be entering through the seals in the alpine windows that are mounted on the curved section of roof. The water was coming in and running down the interior gutter.

So far I've had 1 month dry interior!!!! Worth checking those seals!!!!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Homer