waving!

I was driving someone else's 110 station wagon the other day. They said they often get a friendly wave from other 110 drivers. Sure enough, during a short trip we got a wave from the driver of an oncoming 110 SW. What's odd is that I've never noticed other Land Rover drivers waving at me when I'm driving my 90!! Is this a 110 thing, or perhaps a localised custom to East Anglia?

Cheers, RB

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

Mother

On or around Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:10:44 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

silly boogger.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This wouldn't be the East Anglian single finger salute would it

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

That's something I really miss about my Series III's - especially the tatty old SWB truckcab. Perhaps I should paint the Disco day-glo green and put a Camel Trophy roofrack on. (There are just too many BORING Discos out there.)

Judith

Reply to
Judith

It may be an age related thing?

I been driving a Series 2a almost daily since 1996 and I always get a wave from other Series vehicles - even from opposite sides of the Motorway it would seem.

More recently I've noticed that 90/110 owners will frequently initiate a wave and Range Rover Classic drivers are much more willing to wag a finger in the direction of the Series.

I have (just yesterday *sob*) parted company with my 1989 Range Rover (and I am now bereft of a Range Rover for the first time in about seven years :-(( ) but, prior to my recent loss, I also noted that Classic drivers are much more willing to wave and smile (that would be a rarity thing then?)

It's simply, most likely, they wave thinking 'there's another poor b*st*ard who'll be spending all weekend with the spanners and welder'

Graeme

p.s. so P38 owners will start waving in what? 2009? Freelander owners in

2012? Disco drivers?
Reply to
Graeme

The day I put a snorkel on my Disco I started getting waved at by suitably-equipped Defender drivers... Ah, those were the days. So if you put the Camel roofrack, a snorkel & some spotlights on there Judith, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

David French

Try driving a Multicoloured or bright monocoloured 101 Ambulance and you'll have to always take a passenger to take care of the waving duties !

I'm sure Mother can confirm that !

Rich

Reply to
Rich Clafton

Perhaps while it's in the bodyshop tomorrow [1] I could get them to tart it up a bit. And I must get over my habit of waving at Series Landies while I'm driving a hire car. The drivers must be thinking "Why is that Ford Focus driver beaming and waving at me?" !

Judith

[1] after someone decided to take a shortcut THROUGH the Disco at a junction :-( Only a minor bash but I almost cried!
Reply to
Judith

nah rich! its just a 101 thing,

my uncles 101 Ambu get waved at by almost all landys the same with Owens old 101Gs always got waved at..!

Reply to
Scott snowling

Are you sure they're not waving their arms around in terror?

Reply to
David French

Twas Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:43:18 +0100 when "Prof Rollerball" put finger to keyboard producing:

well I live in cornwall and it happens here. though I try to wave at Land Rover people rather than commercial users.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

That did once cross my mind :-)

Reply to
Mother

Twas Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:10:44 +0100 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

you have too much time on your hands

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:35:10 +0100 when Judith put finger to keyboard producing:

not all 'fans' are lucky enough to drive one every day ;o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:43:18 +0100 when "Prof Rollerball" put finger to keyboard producing:

back in 1996 I bought my first Land Rover (I'd always been a fan) and having just left the Army that was the vehicle for me, it was a 1984

110 with extra side windows in nato green (later painted rolls royce blue). I soon found that other Land Rover drivers would wave. Then I drove my then girlfriend to see her parents over christmas down in Birmingham (we were living in Gateshead) and it was a standard occasional wave trip until we reached Birmingham early in the morning, firstly every 5th house had a Land Rover outside it, and the ones that didn't were already driving around, it seemed every other vehicle was a Land Rover, and all driven by fans rather than commercially, I was waving constantly, it was great... what a welcome on my first visit to Birmingham.

Then we went to visit her sister in Reddich and we were cruising up and down the road near her house looking for somewhere to park and some bloke comes over "looking for somewhere to park your Landy?", he then opens his garden gates where there is just room for my 110 between his S1 and S3. we'd never have found a parking place otherwise.

whoever you were, if you are on here, thanks! top man!.

aren't one of the Landy comics doing a "wave and be waved at" sticker thing? LRW or LRM maybe (I don't subscribe to either). what's the point? we already wave, so much so that I'm thinking about fitting a trafficator with a hand on it.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I had a lot more time when I registered it some two years ago than I do now :-(

Reply to
Mother

Twas Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:03:31 +0100 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

I didn't know .me.uk was around 2 years ago

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Not restricted to 110s, I get waves from most defenders except 'company' ones, although I do seem to get more from kitted out vehicles (roofracks, spots etc). Maybe 110s are easier to spot from a distance than your 90 :->

Even got a toot from a series passing by last week as I sat on the wing with one foot on the block peering down a the starter motor I was going to have to take out *again* :-<

Now that I've moved to France I can confirm it's a europe-wide thing too. Can be amusing sometimes as alot of the local police drive 110s and don't appreciate being flashed at!!

Gromit

That'd be different to the Liverpudlian single finger salute then ;)

DH

Reply to
rm.harper