Waving

Driving a 90 I always wave and get waved at. I am now rebuilding an early 80's Range Rover Classic and wondered who waves at who while driving a battered Range Rover. I have done several test runs waving at other vehicles with varying responses and wondered how the rest of the group felt. Obviously I realise I wont get a wave from anything polished or built after

2001. Any thoughts?
Reply to
Bender

Ill wave at you.

Ill wave at anything. The number of fingers shown will vary from vehicle to vehicle though!

Obviously, and 90's and RRC's get the full 'Hello!'

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Its about time we had a badge for the AFL crew -enthusiasts who are most likely to acknowledge a fellow sufferer. I never get a sniff of a wave in the Disco tho' I expect if I was running a 2in lift, roll cage and knobblies I would get a response.Most of the fellow(?) Disco drivers round hereabouts are footballers wives if you believe the stats quoted on Topgear- Altrincham residents bought more P*rsch* Cayennes than the rest of the country put together and trust me on this- the wives got Disco's . What you should get from other landy owners is let out of junctions in traffic( yuppies not included) Derek.

Reply to
Derek

I was amazed to get flashed and a wave when in my P38 by a French reg.

90 whilst I was out and about in France. Probably a brit tho! but still, didn't expect that a P38 would get any interest from a 90 owner!

BTW, does anyone know anything about an orange (or was it red?) 110 6x4 (or maybe 6x6, but didn't get that close!) that I saw around Bristol the other day? Had a private reg on it, and looked interesting!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

in article 7Lklg.33193$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net, Bender at snipped-for-privacy@starspath.com wrote on 18/6/06 11:48 pm:

I only seem to get strange men flashing at me when driving the Lightweight and the Series 3 ;)

Reply to
Nikki

It wasn't me, officer!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

There are a couple of people with AFL stickers (well, my landy has one on and so did neil Brownlee's 'Piglet' at one point i think). They will cost you a couple of quid from the muddyweb guys at the shows.

whilst in the landy i will wave back at any owners of those fancy new things if they wave at me first. Its not worth waving at them all since most of them dont wave back.

Reply to
Tom Woods

A friend came to the gaydon show with us once. She was new to the landrover thing. She was sat in the back of my 2A as i drove home with the back of the rag open. When we got home and stopped she said something like 'that was a bit wierd, everybody kept waving at me do you know them all or something?'

Reply to
Tom Woods

Why not? I wave/flash at people in my 1997 Discovery and my 2006 RR .... obviously the response varies. Having a caged Discovery gets waves back, but with Bagheera still not sporting any stickers on the body panels yet, I mainly get double takes and *then* a wave :-)

However - just remember that a lot of enthusiasts either have other Land Rovers *or* normal cars, so it's not unknown for me to get waved at/flashed by cars and in some cases Trucks!!!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Piglet still sports his afl stickers ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tom Woods at snipped-for-privacy@NOPSAMtomwoods.co.uk wrote on 19/6/06 9:11 am:

I'd agree with that, but only from other "off roaders".

traffic( yuppies not included)

Have also found this to be true, and it doesn't matter what Land Rover you drive. The majority of other Land Rover what ever they drive, are generally quite polite.

Same here.

Reply to
Nikki

You think you have troubles -- try waving at Classics/Defenders/caged Discos when circumstances force you to drive a Freelander! The fact that every 6th car on the school run is a Freelander may have rescued Solihull from penury, but it does nowt for my image.

I'm thinking I may nail a bit of rainwater pipe up the side of the windscreen, and mount a big cardboard winch on the front bumper -- THEN perhaps I'll get respect.

GRAEME ALDOUS Yorkshire

[LRe readers may recognise this thought from the Letters page of the current issue. Well, I used to work for the BBC, and this is another of those pesky repeats!]
Reply to
Teeafit

Its like an involuntary reflex sometimes to flash at landies when im driving the car :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I used to get a load of waves in the old 90 with winch etc, but never get so much as a wave in the RRC Tdi now. However, I get do get let out of side roads in the morning, especially the little land I have to drive down in the morning from my house to join the main road. Strangely, my other half in her VW Polo ends up waiting for ages. I even had some old dear stop and reverse up the road Friday morning, how odd!

In Pembrokeshir thought, there's so many Land Rovers around you'd be waving every 10th vehicle, always worth keeping an eye out for a "special" landy though!

Thay always get a full complement of lights flashed and arm out the window.

Especially if there's an attractive young thing driving it!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

In article , Derek writes

Saw one here recently. Was shocked.

In real life (i.e. not on Top Gear) it's easily the ugliest thing on four wheels since 1970s Ladas. It really does hit you nastily between the eyes.

If sales are as you say in Cheshire, I expect they'll do a 'bling special' in gold metal flake any day now.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Mother

" Coming quite soon:

"

Hmmmm now then ..... sounds familiar ;-) I started one of them too (but not just for LR's)!!!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Aye! No competition for Mud Club though Neil.

Tis the future IMO - an end to "The Committee" as we know it!

Reply to
Mother

Harrump, only land rovers though.. Guess I'll have to make space for that series 1 then.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"Tom Woods" wrote >

Yes, I've fallen into that trap, you should have seen the look on the face of the S111 driver when a BMW flashed and the driver waved at him. Probably thought I was taking the p.ss. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden