Waxoil : - How much to do

2 Defenders LWB , 1 Disco and a Renault Laguna :-)

I'm having a waxoil party :-)

Want a proper in and out of the chassis job too. Never induldged in Waxoil before so any pointers welcome. I have a compressor, somewhere to do it, will be getting a tarp for the job to park said vehicles on. I understand a hot day is best for the fluidity of the waxoil.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

A pal who sprays a lot of commercial bodies gave me a tip yonks ago- stand the tin in a bucket of hot water to make it less viscous should work as well with waxoyl just in case it aint that hot (mum) theres a link to

suggesting white spirit as a thinner?

good luck selling Percy mate I've got my project for the summer sorted thanks to Carl.Very nearly ended up with the S2 as well off fleabay luckily I went to see the RR the day before the auction finished or I would have been stuffed with 3 land rovers up the drive

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I use Tectyl made by Valvoline and I used to warm it up in a bucket of boiling water but I stopped doing that for two reasons. The first is when it hits cold metal it tends to congeal quickly and not run into the parts that Heinekin can't reach and the second is if you thin it with white spirit or paraffin then it covers a lot more for your money and creeps in all the corners for up to a week before finally setting as the solvent dries out and even though it is a thinner coat it still protects and seals just as well.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

i had a waxoyl party on one of thie hottest days last summer.

like derek says

hot day is best leave the tin of waxoyl in a bucket of boiled water for as long as possible before use. the thinner it gets the better. I did this with a couple of kettle loads of water and then left it while i took the wheels off the car and got it all ready for action.

if it is a hot day and you have a decent sprayer you will not need to thin it! white spirit will clean it off stuff (and thin if necessary)

get a proper spray gun for it that goes on your compressor and one with a long extension is more use for inside stuff

I currently have a waxoyl gun here that goes on a compressor which is dead good. you can borrow it in return for some beer and if you clean it out properly before giving it back (run white spirit through it)

Reply to
Tom Woods