We're doomed!

Well, it seems there's a new environmental problem hitting the coasts of Dorset, according to my local Dorset County Council's free newspaper. A clip in Private Eye bought it to my attention, and I've just checked the paper itself as I thought they had to be making it up. They're not, it's genuinely in the paper.

The article on page 14 of the Winter 2007 issue of "Your Dorset" states that the innocent passtime of throwing pebbles into the sea contributes to coastal erosion and recommends that when throwing pebbles into the sea, you instead throw them towards the land. To encourage responsible pebble-throwing they are going to create flagged-off areas and make T-shirts for registered throwers....

No mention was made of the rise in sea levels caused by pesky unregistered bumpkins filling our seas with stones, I will write to my MP to make sure this risk is properly assessed.

Now I need to apply for my pebble-throwing license, hopefully they have a good stock of bio-degradeable pebbles that I can use.

My council tax bill is looking more like a bargain every day!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ian Rawlings uttered summat worrerz funny about:

The Dorset tossers I think they are called, tossing on a beach since they were big enough to walk. We went to Dorset last summer and I'm afraid this is true, for I lay down on the beach towel to read the Road Traffic act, when I got up HALF the beach had disappeared, It's no lie... tossers the lot of them....

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Dr_D

Yes very amusing Lee, a policeman reading the Road Traffic Act indeed! Pull the other one, but don't throw it towards the sea or you'll be forced to hand yourself in..

As for our organised safe pebble-throwing events, no surprise to find that they will be organised in conjunction with the Countryside Agency, now known as "Natural England" apparently. Given the number of people with the same face in this area, I'd have thought "unnatural" might be more appropriate..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Dont surprise me 1 bit. In the process of organising an off road motorcycle event in the Yorks Dales. The YDNP officer is more bothered about SUB-TERRAINIAN erosion. Caused by RABBITS !!!!!!!!!!! Surely the land is more theirs than ours !!! They LIVE there!

Reply to
tomtom

Ah, but rabbits are tax-exempt, like the queen, although they do taste better. Since they don't pay tax, they don't get to vote, hence their lack of representation in our government.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

you tasted the queen??? eeeeeewwwwww

Reply to
tiscali

Every time I lick a stamp. Sort of tastes a bit gluey.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

like the real thing then?

Reply to
tiscali

Sheep shit ? Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

It's like Frankie Boyle said on Mock The Week, she's so old, her pussy is haunted.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Well as long as it's dry, it doesn't flick so well when it's still wet. (I grew up surrounded by scottish farmland so know about the flickability of sheep shit).

Strangely, sheep shit and bunny shit are hard to tell apart.

Horse shit might be better, that floats if it's dry enough, but it's also so dry by that time that it can catch the wind and blow back, particularly bad if it powders as breathing it in leaves a funny taste in your mouth.

Cow shit can frisbee if it's dry enough, it's not much use at all when wet.

Horses are so dumb they shit while running, why did that not evolve out? Have they no shame?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Only until Smiling Tony works out a way to tax them ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Perhaps a 'wildlife tax' which is calculated by the size of your garden or the amount or grass you have? I have a park-y type area infront of my house - Will my council tax go up to support this? ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

That sounds dangerously plausible.....

Unlikely, but it probably won't be long before the idea of charging you to park outside your house spreads everywhere. It costs £30 to get a permit to have a skip outside your house in Stoke now.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yes I know :(. Im doing building work in the garden at the moment and would have had a skip this week until i found it costs me £30 extra to get it put on a public road (the garages round the back of my house are still a public road). It makes more sense for me to shuffle the soil round the garden and then get a skip put inside the garden wall once ive worked through the pile of bricks that is currently in the way...

If anybody in the local area would like 3-5 square metres of soil then let me know! ;) I will help load it into your trailer...

Reply to
Tom Woods

LOL. Gross.

Reply to
Jack

Sounds like an exerpt ftom the "Big Labowski" [US movie].

Reply to
Jack

Ian:

Hope for America's sake this doesn't find its way over to this side of the pond. We have enough tree huggers already. Former VP Al Gore anyone?

Reply to
Jack

It seems we're moving into the realm of pebble-hugging in Dorset!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

You could put it in the loft........... oh, no, that's tunnels...

If it's square metres, couldn't you just roll it up?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd