weird tyre wear

I think it is called scalloping or castellated wear. Basically alternate tread blocks are worn down.

This happened on all 4 Colway mud terrains on my 110 and has now happened on my 300tdi discovery. On the back tyres which are Avon Rangemasters - the original tyres - they had done 48,000 miles no probs - 4,000 miles of me driving and this happens.

Is it me? Tyre pressures etc fine - maybe it is the way I drive round corners.

ANY ideas???

Reply to
Vince

Worn shock absorbers is a possibility. I've seen them cause this on non-LR 4WD vehicles.

Reply to
EMB

IIRC soft shock absorbers can do that as can worn or badly adjusted suspension components - wheel bearings balljoints and bushes once upon a tyme Haynes used to have a section showing wear and causes that was when the manuals were useful reassmbly is the reverse of this. Derek Disco 200TDi

Reply to
Derek

The shocks are fine - they were brand new on my 110 and look fine on the Disco.

I can't see that worn anything other than possibly wheelbearing could effect a beam axle?

Just found this

It says "excessive cornering speeds" - that's telling me then!!!

Reply to
Vince

And the last 2 vehicles I have seen with this problem have had shocks that "looked fine" and even seemed fine when removed and tested by hand. However replacement shocks on both of them appears to have resolved the tyre wear issue.

WRT to you having the problem with new shocks, it's possible that the shocks supplied to you did not have enough damping capacity for the vehicle you fitted them to. Some of the cheaper suppliers are notorious for selecting shocks for an application merely on dimensions and not on actual damping ability.

Reply to
EMB

The shocks on the 110 were the Monroe Adventurer yellow ones. Discovery has the standard shocks and has done 54,000 miles now.

I have had the disco for just over 1 month - tyres WERE fine - original ones - low on tread but still legal. No sign of scalloping until I started driving it.

Reply to
Vince

Owt that effects wheel alignment can make tyres wear oddly like worn rear radius arm bushes on a mini could feather the treads I used to wear the fronts out on Autotests no suspension problems needed just 3000rpm off the line. That chart looks like the Haynes one though their was photo's handy I must have it somewhere about. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Just stopped to think logically about this - also did some reading up and it could well be wheel balance - there IS a vibe at about 50mph you can drive through but it is harder to detect wheel balance probs on the back.

Worn shocks could also be the cause - to cause the scalloping the wheel must be vibrating up and down. Just not in my case.

I know on my Colway MT on my 110 they just couldn't balance them perfectly - they said most mud pluggers are the same.

On the disco the car has prob never been over 45mph before so balance probs didn't show up.

Reply to
Vince

The previous owner must have driven the Disco very gently to get 48k out of a set of tyres. The Disco is a heavy car and consequently needs good brakes; are you using them excessively hard?

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

Yes the Discovery was really treated well - serviced every 4,000 miles - front tyres new - back ones original - tyre walls starting to crack with age.

Yes I do drive quite hard - but don't use the brakes much - engine breaking and racing lines through roundabouts.

Reply to
Vince

|| I know on my Colway MT on my 110 they just couldn't balance them || perfectly - they said most mud pluggers are the same.

ATS told me this when I fitted BFG ATs to the RR. I asked them to try harder and sure enough they got them balanced in the end. Had to have them rebalanced every 10K afterwards, so balancing isn't the simple matter it is with "normal" tyres. The tyre fitters aren't lying, they just aren't trying hard enough. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It depends very much on the tyres. I found BFG long trail good for

40K at least, and that was on a hard-driven V8. The Michelin ones that came off hadn't gone much past 20k and were totally shot.
Reply to
Tim Hobbs