What did you get for Christmas, anything to do with Land Rovers?

Was it, or could it be Land Rover related?

Have you broken it yet, if not, have you tried? Anyone working outside in this weather bolting their bits on?

I got a rather tasty selection of miniature single malts, a useful metal cutting bandsaw, a savage radial arm circular saw with laser, and a book about John Peel.

I'm off to try them out in that order, the book will make useful reading while I recover on the alcoholic amputees ward.

Reply to
wayne

Landrover related

Percy is getting a V8 transplant, the old lumps all but disconected, presently on hold until I can thaw my frostie bits.

I got a 4x4 is Born DVD, Lad got a Remote control 90 Police Defender 8-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

An angle grinder - I feel like a real Landie owner now :-) - and some new door hinge pins for the 2a.

There's also a replacement heater motor and an alternator on their way too.

Happy New Year All

Steve G

snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
SteveG

couple of days late but Santa just bought me this:-)

Mmmm cant wait!!! - few squid left for an engine overhaul as well - how much should I pay for a new set of rings/cams & followers fitted ? I reckon they could be tired at 109K

Reply to
StaffBull

And very nice too .....

Regards

Steve G

StaffBull wrote:

SteveG

Cheers ! picking it up on Thursday - so a kind of New year present really.

Steve

StaffBull

I asked for contributions to my 101 tyre fund. I now have enough for 2 and a bit tyres :) Now i just need to save up for the rest :(

Reply to
Tom Woods

in article cqpred$e1u$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk, StaffBull at snipped-for-privacy@spamtrap.staffbull.net wrote on 27/12/04 8:31 pm:

Had ours done on the Discovery in the summer and cost us about £750 inc parts, labour etc. Land Rover main dealer trained mechanic who got fed up with the miserable lot at our local dealer.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

in article cqpred$e1u$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk, StaffBull at snipped-for-privacy@spamtrap.staffbull.net wrote on 27/12/04 8:31 pm:

What were looking for as well, although Bruce was thinking of something 1998 on. Got to be an ES, green - dark rather than light, if petrol would prefer if LPG was already fitted, and is prepared to look at a diesel, especially if it was a TD5. Missed a V8 1999 for £6500 the other week!

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

in article 1jZzd.3071$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net, Lee_D at snipped-for-privacy@lrproject.com wrote on 27/12/04 7:23 pm:

Early learning centre?

Didn't get Bruce anything car related this year. Got him a new coat for when he goes shooting and we got Isaac a remote control hovercraft.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

I also considered this one - looks like a cracker, not LPG but that can be fitted professionally for less than £1K now.

cheers, Steve

PS on looking (Hard) to find one I think that the ones on Ebay are cheaper by 20-30% especially to those listed on autotrader and Exchange & Mart.

Reply to
StaffBull

Electric guitar! Never ever played one, so God help the neighbours...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Warren

- God, what has he done to his website?) did the cam and timing gear on mine (130,000 miler) last year just before I sold it. It made a massive difference to the general running

- cost was about £300 all in, but then Warren is an engineer first and capitalist second.

There are various options on how it is done - you can leave the engine in situ and remove the rad and air con (which is how Warren did mine) or pull the engine. The air con is probably ready for a recharge anyway....

Don't know whether the rings will need attention. Mine didn't - the cam wear is usually more significant.

If it hasn't been done as part of the LPG fitting, have a good look at the ignition system as well.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

What are you buying? Don't say Petlas....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

in article cqregl$4d8$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk, StaffBull at snipped-for-privacy@spamtrap.staffbull.net wrote on 28/12/04 11:02 am:

Haven't really looked that seriously yet. At least we are in a position to be able to buy one if it came along at the right price. Going to book the RR and Series 3 in for MOT next week to see what, if anything, needs to be done that we don't already know about. The RR shouldn't be too bad as its only done 1578 since last MOT, but the Series 3 is going to need a little more attention - brakes need looking at(that's if it has any fitted!), something to do with the splines on the rear axle and Bruce robbed the carb off it and fitted it to the Lightweight to see if cured the engine cutting out all the time. It did, so its staying on there for now.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Have you got Petlas's?. Not impressed with them?

I shall be buying something in 255/85. Since other people seem to be using these, and they work out pretty much the same size as the bar slicks (just a tad smaller).

At the moment my choice seems limited to some Wildcat all Terrains or some BFG mud's. Both from Craddocks. I'm really impressed by the BFG Trac edges ive got on my landy, so am considering the extra £20 a corner for the BFG's.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Cheers - Steve

Reply to
StaffBull

No probs, I was thinking of spending more and getting a Ser II disco but from other friends experience they don't like getting wet ! as they have CAN bus technology. they have been plagued by Alarm problems, lights which wont go off/on central locking which wont lock and then unlocks itself !!! so sod that I bought a series I and that way I get to keep the 3 door 300Tdi "Bertha" as the missus has become seriously attached to her ( first car, after passing in a fiesta!!) and refuses to drive anything smaller! I think I can fit both discos and the company jelly mould (soon to be traded for a freelander HSE) on the drive with a squeeze. If not I'll just have to knock a wall down at the back and park one in the garden! how does such a car become so addictive? I have a £23,500 Renault (jelly mould) and I hate driving the bloody thing! it does everything you want "fully loaded" as they say but I much prefer driving an M plate 300Tdi disco which has a melodic whine to the gearbox!!

Land Rover ownership - the second sign of MADNESS!! - - - the first sign is Suggs walking through the door! :-)

"Nikki Cluley" wrote in message news:BDF727DF.1392E% snipped-for-privacy@ntlorld.com...

Reply to
StaffBull

The Trac-Edges on my S2 are fantastic - the perfect compromise between mud and AT, IMHO.

The Petlas are cheap(ish) and entirely nasty. Not my most inspired purchase TBH. Rated to 50mph is very frustrating when the truck will cruise at 65 and the wet tarmac characteristics are every bit as alarming as the bar grips.

When money is no object (by which time the world will have run out of oil) I'll be looking at bigger rims with some US-sourced BFG tyres on. You can get slightly larger outer diameter in 17 and 18" sizes, but not from the UK product catalogue (at least not last time I looked).

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

So snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk was, like

No, but related to a thread on this group ;-)

Got a 6D-cell Maglite, burglars for the use of. It's nice and shiny and red, and weighs a lot too. Well pleased, thank you Father Christmas.

Oh, and a bottle of 12-year-old Glenfiddich Special Reserve. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Reply to
Richard Brookman