What Diesel ?

what diesel engine would be a 3.7 litre and fitted to a Range Rover might be

6 cylinder as front cross member has been modified for clearance???? Rich

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

Perkins Phaser (spelling?) springs to mind.

Reply to
PDannyD

Aye, sounds like one of the Perkins Phaser engines that went into Leyland Roadrunner 7.5ton lorries. Could also be a Perkins 6.354 - that works out to about 3.7 litres I think! :)

Reply to
Exit

Could also be the Ford York 6 pot ( 3.8/4.2 ) as fitted to the A series and early cargos

Reply to
Smurf

The Perkins was a four litre engine. Latest incarnation is a 4.4 litre linerless engine. Everyone seems to be in the process of dumping Perkins engines in favour of Cummins and others. Even JCB has announced that they will replace Perkins with their own built engines. Caterpillar, the parent company, seems to be losing the plot, unless they intend just to shut the British Perkins operation down.

Could also be a Perkins 6.354 - that works out to

Your math leaves something to be desired ;-)

354 cubic inches is about five point eight litres.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

You must be right as a 350 is a 5.7!

Reply to
Exit

On or around Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:42:57 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

the 6.354 has been fitted to RRs, but it's far too big and heavy really.

any ID on the engine?

Most of the truck engines are bigger than that - the only ones around that size I recall are the 4-pot BMC diesels, or the Perkins 4.236, which is also a 4-pot.

6-pot York is a possibility though, as was said.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well I dont actually know it was a 6 cylinder, but the engine is not in the chassis was sold but what it says on the reg doc is 3.7 litres?? So was just wondering what was in there at one time?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I hope not, they are one of the major employers around here.... Although they have been giving out voluntary reduncancy quite a lot recently....

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

unless

Although

recently....

Let's look at some of their customers that I know of. Merlo are going Deutz MF have bought Sisu and will increasingly use these down the range. They already offer Cummins for certain export markets. JCB have announced their own engine which will take over from approximately 2007. At present they are using more Cummins in preference to Perkins on an increasing number of models. McCormick are replacing Perkins with EEA [Cummins/NH/Iveco] engines presently.

There are a few other major customers, such as Manitou, but the above list of deserters will leave volume for the next generation engine pretty darned thin. Do they even have a four valve common rail engine waiting in the wings? If not, then this, along with the high initial failure rate that I perceive of late engines, could explain the desertions.

Their existing range of engines, both tier1 and tier two compliant, including the 1100 series tend to underperform compared to the competition. This may be a problem of manufacturers specifying dead-on the power they need [when engines may vary +-5% or it may be a combination of this and poor marketing; I don't know. Certainly the competitors overwhelmingly overperform their advertised output by up to 15% and NEVER underperform. This HAS to be rectified, but it may be too late to save the Company.

Huw

Reply to
Huw