What does this do? Disco.

1998 GS 300 Its an electrical item under the 'wheel chock' under the bonnet and seems to have various leads and thin tubes leading to the turbo setup, the electrical connection was unplugged on mine so I plugged it in, can't seem to notice any difference. What's it for?
Reply to
Davey

Exhaust Gas Recycling (EGR) control box. It was probably unplugged to switch it off, which tends to give a slight boost to engine power at the expense of higher emissions.

HTH

Regards

Steve G

Davey wrote:

Reply to
SteveG

Cruise control vacuum pump?

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Thanks for that! Do you think I should just unplug it?

Reply to
Davey

Sounds like the vacuum pump for the cruise control. Do you have cruise control, if so, does it work?

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
Davey

On or around Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:19:28 -0000, "Davey" enlightened us thusly:

On our TDi, I put a 2p[1] coin in the pipework of the EGR. fits beautifully in between the flanges and blocks it nicely :-)

it's not failed a test as a result.

[1] make sure it's a recent, steel 2p, not an old Cu-Ni one. The steel ones are tougher. Check with a magnet, natch.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles wrote:.

Excellent!!

I was wondering what to use to block mine when I get around to it. I'm also going to be fitting the CAT-less exhaust section at the same time.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Actually, can someone explain to me what the EGR valve is and why I want it blocked off? Surely it had a purpose...?

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled

On or around Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:48:43 -0000, Aled enlightened us thusly:

feeds exhaust gas into the inlet under certain situations. Stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Needless to say, you don't want it doing that all the time, and the valve can stick so that it does. It doesn't see to do a lot, really... It's supposed to reduce nitrogen oxides. It shouldn't work at full load, but does in theory at idle and part load.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It allows a small portion of exhaust gases to be burnt again this tends to be at higher engine speeds by blocking it off the engine will produce more power as the cylinder will contain only fuel and air and not carbon monoxide/dioxide

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

According to the Defender workshop manual:-

Operation of the EGR system is dependent on the following:

Engine temperature - must be between 20C and 100C approx.

Engine speed - must be between 630 and 2850 rev/min.

Engine load - calculated by throttle position sensor.

EGR valve lift position.

Duration of engine idling. (shuts off after 25-30 seconds idling)

Reply to
Simon Barr