What is a Winkworth Electric Bell??

As the subject line says really.....

Yeah OK, I would have thought it be an Electric Bell, but this is a bullet point on a Landrover a club member is selling.

*Fitted with Winkworth Electric Bell*

Is it a bell instead of a horn??

What's the point??

Cheers

-- Dan Allen Ham Call sign:- M1ETN. Home of the M1ETN-L Internet Gateway, linking the world via Radio the easy way:-) Events Sec:- Home Counties Land Rover Club Webmaster:- Enfield Scout Sailing Association Webmaster:- Hoddesdon Radio Club Email:- snipped-for-privacy@nospam.valvesunlimited.demon.co.uk Packet Radio Address:- M1ETN@GB7NSY.#32.GBR.EU Web Site:-

Radio Club:-
Counties Landrover Club:-
Enfield Scout Sailing Association:-
Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE:

Dan Allen

Used on emergency vehicles before they moved over to sirens or two-tone horns. Presumably this landrover is ex police.

Nigel Worsley

Reply to
Nigel Worsley

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:21:33 +0100, I was awakened by "Nigel Worsley" in alt.fan.landrover who caused me to spill hot coffee on my keyboard by writing the following:

Ah, well I'm not sure if the Landy is ex-police, but I don't think it is that old, to use a bell.....when did they change from bells to sirens?

It's a 1984 110 Hard Top, with 2.25 Petrol engine - Yes 2.25.

suppose I could phone him up and ask, that would be the easiest thing:-)

I hate having to start work at 04:00, brain gone mushy at this time, bed soon

-- Dan Allen Ham Call sign:- M1ETN. Home of the M1ETN-L Internet Gateway, linking the world via Radio the easy way:-) Events Sec:- Home Counties Land Rover Club Webmaster:- Enfield Scout Sailing Association Webmaster:- Hoddesdon Radio Club Email:- snipped-for-privacy@nospam.valvesunlimited.demon.co.uk Packet Radio Address:- M1ETN@GB7NSY.#32.GBR.EU Web Site:-

Radio Club:-
Counties Landrover Club:-
Enfield Scout Sailing Association:-
Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE:

Dan Allen

Dan Allen posted ...

What's the point of a sig the size of yours (way over Usenet convention) with a link in it to an anti-spam campaign ?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I was wondering how long it would be before anyone jumped on this (again). :-)

usenet .sigs should usually be no more than 4 lines long, they should be preceded with two hyphens and a space.

Yes, many of mine are broke too - well, not ones I use in groups who are slightly less tole{r}ant, that is... ;-)

Reply to
Mother

Twas Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:33:10 +0100 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

Mine will be too long then.... tough.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

-
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I think Paul was pointing out the irony in cluttering the Net with huge great sigs, promoting an anti-spam campaign.

David

Reply to
David French

I believe that the last two vehicles in the Met fitted with them came out of service around 2001-2002 which were Ford Thames vans fitted out for incident control that had been in service since the early 70s.

ISTR that Flying Squad/Special Branch still use them - I could be wrong on this.

They were certainly in general use up to the early 80s in Glasgow.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:33:23 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

almost all of mine fit into 80x4, I think there are 1 or to which are 5 lines, as the quotes I wanted to use are slightly too long to fit in.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

...when did they change from bells to

IIRC front line stuff started to use two tone horns in the mid / late 60's but bells were still in use long after.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Yebut you don't have to have the

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

'in' the .sig. The sep is still bust, though :-)

Reply to
Mother

Actually, to be frankly honest, I don't really give a flying f*ck about .sigs much these days. It was an issue with 75/300 baud modems, but in reality, these days the failure to snip appopriately causes much more wasted bandwidth.

Reply to
Mother

Twas Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:02:04 +0100 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

just saves me writing it 1000 times a day

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

-
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Why so?

Your .sig 'file' doesn't _have_ to start with "-- " Your .sig file could start with the 'Regards' bit. Mine - where I have 'Regards' do exactly this...

Reply to
Mother

Twas Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:43:58 +0100 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

like this?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

David French posted ...

Bingo .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Mother"

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yup!

(But the .sig is still too long...) ;-)

Like i said before though, it's not something I think anyone really worries too much about in non-techie groups - as I think most of my .sigs here demonstrate. I most certainly would NOT use any non-conforming .sigs in some of the other groups I post to, though!

Reply to
Mother

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:28:56 +0100, I was awakened by "Paul S. Brown" in alt.fan.landrover who caused me to spill hot coffee on my keyboard by writing the following:

Make sense,

Will try to find out more I think....if it ex-police might have some nice mods to it:-)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan Allen

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:18:07 +0100, I was awakened by "Paul - xxx" in alt.fan.landrover who caused me to spill hot coffee on my keyboard by writing the following:

What is wrong about promoting an anti-spam campaign????

I hate spam, you must be an instigater of sending mass unwated emails then, if your so against it.

This is the modern world things evolve, the internet is evolving as we speak, usenet evolves too.....so tough if you don't like the sig then kill file me.

Sad person if all you can do is whinge about a sig file.

So just for you here it is again