What oil for 300 TDi ?

I have just changed the oil in my 300 Tdi. At the motor factor I was recomended Comma oils 5w 30, as this temp range was in my handbook I thought Id give it a try. Put in with new filter and ran better than before very free revving. ?? After seeing a recent posting or two i wonder whether I've put too thin an oil and am doing some damage even though it's a 1998 330 Tdi modern block ?? Do I need to stick to a thicker oil bearing in mind summer will be here soon. ( Changed every 3000mls ).

Reply to
Hirsty's

whether I've

The oil recommended has to meet a minimum of [obsolete] ACEA D5 which translates to current ACEA E3 oil with a viscosity of 15W40, but nothing wrong with using a 10w/40. FWIW these are known as Super High Performance Diesel [SHPD] oils. I would go one better and use an oil meeting the higher SHPD specs of ACEA E5 and API CH4 [global DHD1]. No point changing these oils at less than 5000 miles as they are rated for 45000 kms in extremis and are used in some damned heavy duty applications for extended intervals. The latter specs provide a large margin of safety at the recommended 6000 miles.

Does the Comma meet any of these specs? If not, you have less of a safety margin at 3000 miles than with the proper oil drained at 6000 miles.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thanks Huw, I just checked the can and it gives a code ACEA A1 B1 API SL CF , only trouble is I am none the wiser. i would hazard a guess that it is higher spec than ACEA E5 because it has a higher letter rating but I am only guessing here ?? It also says semi synthetic which i questioned the seller about as had heard that you can get capilliary creep with these oils ??

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

guess that

ACEA is a higher spec but rather oddly E5 is a lower spec than E4 in duty terms. E3 and E5 are equivalent in duty terms but slightly different formulations may be needed to meet E5 due to stricter emmision rules.

because it has a higher letter rating but I

questioned the

A semi-synthetic is not needed for these engines and just judging an oil by whether it is mineral or part synthetic is irrelevant.

IIRC The specs you mention initially are not essential and if you use any oil that meets these without the ACEA E2 or E3 or E5 rating you could put your engine at risk. Indeed at least two of the four specs you mention are exclusively petrol engine specifications and one of the diesel specifications is a standard and long obsolete specification. There is no problem using an oil that meets one of those specs as long as it also meets one of the SHPD specs I have already mentioned.

Does it not effectively mention this in the owners manual? It certainly did in my old 200TDi book.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Missing spec and words inserted between the stars.

mention**** but rather oddly E5 is a lower spec than E4 in

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The manual I have here for the Defender 300Tdi states that you should use the following.

15w/40 RES.22.OL.PD-2 or CCMC PD-2 or API CD

I just did a change on my Defender over the weekend and used some API CG specced oil. This oil thing confuses me a bit. I settled on the oil I used at the weekend using some links thats Huw posted some time ago about oil specs. According to the stuff I found the CG oil can be used in place of CD stuff.

It also gave me the chance to fit the Difflock drain plug I bought a while ago. Draining the oil should be a breeze next time.

Oh, and why did they put the bloody oil filter in such an awkward place!?!?

Hope I haven't confused you even more.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Twas 14 Apr 2004 08:03:52 GMT when Simon Barr put finger to keyboard producing:

have you tried a clutch slave cylinder? make sure the exhaust is cold..

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around 14 Apr 2004 08:03:52 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

Mind, they keep updating the oil spec as the books get newer; the HBol for the disco say:

SAE5W30 to 15W40, ACEA B2:96, API CE or better.

for what is in essence the same engine.

mind it says similar for the petrol engines, which I'd take with a big pinch of salt for early V8 discos, which are probably better off running on 20W50.

's hard to get decent-spec 20W50 these days mind.

IIRC the API oil grades for diesel are up to at least CH now.

BTW, API = American Petroleum Institute (I think!), S is "Spark Ignition" and C is "Compression Ignition", and the further down the alphabet, the better.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

While doing the oil change I checked the other fluid levels. The clutch fluid was right down so I may be experiencing the slave cylinder change soon.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Had trouble with the oil filter as well but friend runs BT fleet and had a natty device that clamps over the body. I tried to get one but could not, however found a chain device with a socket end on it which is perfect to get it off ( also bought a sort of closing 4 pronged claw last time as well, before I realized I had the chain thing ) one was £4 and the other £9.

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

before very

should use

Until recently the API only set a minimum acceptable standard for oil. API CD and CE are long obsolete and were replaced with CF CF4 CG4 and now CH4 which is a much higher standard than a minimum. CH4 is actually the first API spec that is a SHPD oil suitable for what was formerly known as an extended drain interval and higher heat and stress tolerance but which is now becoming quite normal. Since this is the case and since oils to CH4 are now easily and economically available, then there is no good reason for using anything but.

FYI all the specifications [apart from viscosity] which you quote above are long obsolete and superseded, some by more than 15 years. The CCMC itself has changed and been absorbed into the international ACEA for at least 10 years.

None of those oils were good for more than emergency use or for very shortened service intervals even when the 200TDi was introduced in

1990 for goodness' sake. I wish I had kept my operators manual so I could quote the relevant passages and explain their meaning.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I'll look for that spec when the next change is due.

I find that a bit difficult to believe. The manual I quoted those specs from is Land Rovers own Defender workshop manual.

Publication Number LRL0097ENG Amendment Number: LD003.97 Date: 09/97

Are they really going to tell people to put in an oil that is only good for emergency use?

I'm not disputing your knowledge of oils and the like I just find it hard to believe.

Did I say I find this oil thing a bit confusing?

Reply to
Simon Barr

years.

international

Owners manuals should be regularly updated but your publication is out of date by a decade. The CCMC was disbanded and superseded about 1990 and API CD oil was obsolete before that even. API CD oil could well have been available in some regions of Asia and South America in 1997, though I doubt it, but I can assure you that the service interval would be a maximum of 3000 miles using such an oil in the 200TDi. Draw your own conclusion as to the accuracy of the owners manual considering such knowledge of oils. Land Rover themselves have never been under any illusion as to which oil standard to use but they never seem to transfer this knowledge simply and effectively to the owners. Sometimes not even to their dealers.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

IIRC the £3-a-gallon 20W50 my local neon-lights-and-alloy-wheels shop sells carries a API CC or CD spec even now. And that's in Berkshire.

If I get a chance I'll check at the weekend.

Reply to
QrizB