what's my Series II SWB worth?

A friend of a friend is interested in buying my Land-Rover. Since I'm not using it, and would prefer a LWB anyway, I'm happy to sell it. The question is what is it worth? I simply want a fair price for it.

It's a 1981 SWB CSW with a pretty good 2-1/4 petrol engine (leaded only), 85,000 miles, some service history, FWH, over-drive, and garaged for the ten years I've owned it.

The specification and photos can be found here:

I haven't used the vehicle for 3 years so it doesn't have an MOT but prior that it was sitting idle anyway and I got the MOT done two years running with the only mileage being the trip to the MOT station. It would start no problem each year, crank over for a few moments to pump fuel to the carb and then fire up so I wouldn't expect any problems repeating the exercise (and the battery has been on a solar panel trickle charger and checked now and then). I imagine that it would pass the MOT today, or require minor work to get it through - maybe a new exhaust for example. I could get that done and get the MOT done if it'd substantially affect the price.

So what do folk think it's worth, what's a fair price?

Reply to
Jonathan Spencer

Honest answer is to do yourself and your pal a favour and get it tested. Without putting a car on ramp and giving it a thorough examination you could be selling a major fault to a pal. I have done a deal on my 300Tdi which needed some work which I had completed but I missed a rot spot on the nsf scuttle and on one one body mounting which I did before doing the deal he similarly did the scooby so we both have legal cars with no unexpected nasties. Even a fail cert is worth having so your pal knows what he is up against. BTW the car depicted would appear to be a series 3 looks nice tho. Derek

Reply to
Derek

First of all, he isn't a pal. He's someone whom someone I know knows. Secondly, caveat emptor. If I don't put an MOT on it, although I may do, he knows he's buying a 25+ year old vehicle that doesn't have an MOT. I'm not pretending that it's in perfect nick. If he is inclined, he can have it inspected, e.g. by the AA.

The fail certificate is a valid point. Yes, I know it's a series III, that's what it says on the website, it was my typing of the subject line at fault.

Reply to
Jonathan Spencer

Well, given your attitude to it, it's worth next to f*ck all.

HTH.

Reply to
Nige

Jonathan, you have mail.

-- Fred

Reply to
Fred

I'm at a loss to understand your "given your attitude comment". I think you're seeing something that isn't there, but that's the problem with text-only communication.

Derek suggested I should put the vehicle through the MOT to highlight any faults. I said that's a valid thought, and I also said I might put it through the MOT. On the other hand, I've made it clear to the potential buyer - and I clarified that he isn't a friend of mine, just a potential buyer - that the vehicle doesn't have an MOT and has been sitting idle for some years. As with anything, it's up to the buyer to know what he's buying and I'm quite happy for him to have it inspected by a professional if he wanted. Where's the "attitude in that"?

Perhaps a "calm down" tablet would help?

Reply to
Jonathan Spencer

I never take anything as given where Landies are concerned there is so much scope for modification fleabay is a hive of tax exempt 90's and 110's as we post the most unbelievable examples from time to time. An untested series

3 that has been stood for a number of years can be worth as little as a couple of hundred pounds more or less as a pile of spares by the same token a well preserved example could make four or five hundred more the lack of a recent test would be liley to depress the price to the low end watch item 130253301653 on fleabay tested with work required just to get a feel. Derek
Reply to
Derek