What's that light? Defender 110 TD5

A yellow warning light lit up, second from the right, bottom row (It looks like a dripping curtain hanging over a line). Any explanation and what action to take? Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Uli

Low coolant light? I guess the action to take is self explanatory.

Reply to
EMB

It's the water-in-fuel sensor warning light. You need to go under the rear right hand wheel arch (the wheel arch ahead of the fuel filler), in front of the wheel mounted on the chassis is the fuel filter.

Turn the catch on the fuel filter cover and remove/release the cover. You should now be able to see the sensor on the bottom of the filter with a

3-pin electrical plug attached to it. Put a container under the filter to catch the drained water/diesel.

Remove the electrical plug and then GENTLY undo the sensor until fluid flows down the drain pipe. It will start to flow pure diesel after a while (a second or two at most), at which point GENTLY do the sensor back up again until reasonably tight (don't overtighten as you will strip the delicate thread on the sensor).

Reconnect the plug and replace the filter cover. Check warning light :o)

Hope this cures it, if not then it's likely you've got a faulty sensor (there was a faulty batch fitted to some Td5s, how old is yours?) and will need to fit a new one..

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

Martin, thank you very much for your elaborate reply. I wonder how water gets in there in the first place. By the way, mine is a

2000 model. Thanks again.

Uli

Reply to
Uli

Theres some water in the diesel when it's made,

Also condensation in the tank getting drawn into the fuel lines.

Reply to
Hairy Arse

Live and learn... Thanks!

Reply to
Uli

I understand that standing diesel can absorb moisture in much the same way as hydrolic fluid also.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

As others have said, it can come from the fuel itself, or from condensation in the vehicle tank, or condensation in the underground tank at the fuel station, or contamination from jerry cans, etc.

I asked about the age because it turns out that it's possible that the sensor maybe faulty (I think it affects the 1999-2000 Td5 models). If draining the water out doesn't help, it may be the sensor itself has packed up.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

Tomorrow I will know, whether it is water or a faulty sensor. Thanks all!

Reply to
Uli