What's this bit do?

Was crawling around under a Disco 1 this lunchtime. There is an odd 'wheel' thing mounted near the bottom of the steering coloumn and near the end of the steering damper. It is about 6" across and 1" thick, looks heavy and didn't turn when I touched it.... Looked almost as if it was designed to rub against something. Looked odd but also as if it were meant to be there... There isn't one on my 90 and they are meant to have pretty much the same running gear underneath...

What is it and why is it there?

Thanks,

McBad

Didn't look very comfy to me. It was covered in greasy oil and I came close to smacking my head off it.

Thanks though,

M.

Reply to
McBad

That's the Harmonic Damper - a comfy feature.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:17:44 +0100, "McBad" enlightened us thusly:

it's got a cable to restrain it if it falls off.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Lol, you know how to worry a guy don't you?!

M.

Reply to
McBad

Nah, it's a castor, in case the front wheels fall off.

Martin

Reply to
Oily