What to buy?

OK folks... I may once again be a land rover owner, but which one?

First up is money, I can go to £2000.

second is what's it going to do? well it'll spend 80% of it's life on roads, carrying my wife and I with our 2 dogs. also 4 children will be with us often, maybe occasionally 5. It'll be carrying camera equipment but that's not really bulky.

Now preferances, I don't want a series vehicle. I rather like early 110's and 90's, the wife fancies a discovery (fine by me). It's gotta be a diesel.

I've seen 7 seater tdi discos and 90 na diesel station wagons.

It's gotta last forever too ;o)

your opinions ladies and gentlemen please.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Mr.Nice. posted ...

Disco ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

2K will get you a reasonable 200tdi Discovery - however you'll probably be looking at quite high milage for that price but this needn't be too much of an issue. Be prepared to spend a little on maintenance, but essentially, it'll last forever (we have a 200tdi with 250,000 miles on it - still Charlottes daily driver - cost nearly 50 quid to get through the MOT - but that did also include a new light/indicator switch). :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

In no particular order...

Why an early 90 over a Series motor? I'm not sure that there is much to choose between the 2 for on-roading.

A 90 will be too small. 110 is much more useable for families I would reckon.

Discovery won't leak so much, will be more comfy, less likely to be nicked (?) and you'll get much more for your money. Not quite as 'proper' as a 90/110 though, but generally much easier to drive and more roomy.

2K is still a bit tight and if you are paying a mechanic rather than home fixing you could find it much cheaper to stretch the budget from the start instead of paying to have things fixed.
Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I agree; it'd be a false economy to buy a really cheap Disco. It'd be better to save up a bit more money first, and buy something better! There are lots of Discos (and the odd nice 110) on eBay if you're that way inclined. Good luck...

Reply to
David Sillitoe

Discovery - much more comfortable for all concerned.

Reply to
Nikki

Long and short of it is that you'll get a better Range Rover for this money than a discovery. You might find a VM 2.4 or 2.5 for this, most likely to find a converted diesel though. A £2000 is likely to be a wreck, a £2000 RR is likely to be fairly nice.

A 90/110 (well, say 110 - 90 is really too small) is most likely to be a V8 for that money which is not on for you fuel wise, and if it's a NA then it's going to not only uncivilised, but also dog slow.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

On or around Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:30:45 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

you'll have a hard time finding a decent disco for 2 grand, except perhaps an early V8 3-door.

should be able to pick up a decent earlyish 90, though. have a good poke around the chassis and bulkhead, and make sure the engine's half-decent; if it's a 5-speed, listen for clank/clunk form the middle of the vehicle when changing gear or when going from forward to reverse, this can be output shaft spline wear on the main box, and is pricey to fix. FWIW, and depending on the mileage you do, I'd be inclined to go for a 2.5 petrol. NA diesels are pretty slow on-road, and the petrol engine seems to last forever.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:07:36 +0000, Nikki enlightened us thusly:

for 2 grand?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

AutoTrader has them from £1395 - and a TDi to boot. Some of them look quite clean, which may or may not translate to mean a decent motor.

Mate has a 190K 300TDi on an 'M', which is absolutely superb. He's had it from new and will keep it a while yet. He probably wouldn't get much above 3K for it I shouldn't think 'cos the mileage is so high, which is why he ain't selling.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Or as a deposit for a new one?!

Reply to
Father

Oh there is, believe me. The Series has leaf springs which don't much and the 110's are coils sprung. The 110's also come with power steering most of the time and are very much nearer the Defender than the Series.

Quite agree, and a diesel early 110 with either the 2.5na (slow) or 2.5t engine is a bit agricultural.

Regards Bob

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Sounds like I sold mine in the nick of time. I ran it for a year and got £750 more than I bought it for, notwithstanding the couple of grand I spent on it...

Reply to
David French

Thinking about it, yes, I think I'd agree with that.

Mark, I can't remember where you are, but it may be worth talking to a chap called Warren - he's been mentioned here a couple of times :-)

He has a very tidy classic rangie for sale (as he's now got himself a later rangie). I can vouch that it'll be extremely well maintained!

This is a crap site. I wrote it for him as a 'thank you', it certainly doesn't do him justice, but it has got his telephone number on it :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

South-West IIRC. But I agree - it's a very tidy Rangie and I'm surprised it hasn't gone by now. Has he sorted his P38 yet?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

The PAS is a big bonus and lack thereof is a pain on the 109. For town driving, and parking in particular, the poor turning circle and heavy steering of the 109 is a downside. Then again Mark is a bodybuilder, so it would all just count as a trapeziod workout...

However, the ride in the 109 (admittedly on new SWB springs) is very good indeed. The 101 (on its parabolics) is better still once it has a bit of weight in the back.

By contrast the Discovery is very crashy on small bumps, mainly because it hasn't had the bushes and ball-joints renewed. It does handle the bigger bumps (sleeping policemen, pedestrians etc) with more composure.

IME I'd expect a well sorted Series motor to ride as well as an old knackered coiler. I'd reckon 2K will get you one of either. Obviously the coiler has room for subsequent improvement.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Twas Sat, 20 Dec 2003 18:05:28 +0000 when Tim Hobbs put finger to keyboard producing:

I used to own a 1984 110 and found it so much easier to drive generally and better off-road that 109's I've driven.

I agree but it'd be bigger than I have now ;o) I just cannot find any

110's for £2000 with a diesel engine.

roomy is good, not leaking is good (in cornwall the tide doesn't come in, it comes down). I want the option of keeping it forever, without constantly patching bodywork (chassis ok, bodywork, ugly). I love 110's

where I live currently I park on the street, but for bigger jobs I have a friend with some space (uncovered) and some kit.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Twas Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:15:53 +0000 (UTC) when David Sillitoe put finger to keyboard producing:

I would ideally want a 110 (C?)SW with a diesel engine. I just can't find any for £2000 dammit :o(

£2000 is my limit, no more is available (I have to insure the bugger too).

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Twas Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:37:07 -0000 when "Bob Hobden" put finger to keyboard producing:

I don't mind agricultural.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Twas Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:16:58 +0000 when Tim Hobbs put finger to keyboard producing:

I don't mind getting something that needs improving as long as it's basically solid.