What to buy next - 110 Defender or Range Rover

I currently have a 1993 Tdi Disco. I am certian that in the near future we will find that when we increase the animals (that's dogs not children!) we won't have enough space in the boot area for all of them. I also tow a large trailer (for miniature steam engines) and a caravan (but not at the same time :-)

For the most part there are only two of us, but occasionally there are three, so it's not practicable to fold down the rear seat permanently.

I'd like to stick with LR and I have a tightish budget (=A32500 - =A33000). Therefore I'm currently considering either a Range Rover diesel or a 110 Defender "County" Tdi, both of which seem to offer more space in the boot area for the hounds. I want a diesel as I'd like to try one of these vegetable oil conversions. I'm not bothered about air con or many of the gadgets (which I won't get with a Defender anyway!)

So Rangie or Defender - which should I go for (and what to look for when I find one?)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Cheers

Peter

Disco boot in my opinion it larger than the Rangies. Rangie has a stonking spare wheel in for a start. Get the Defender. As for what to look for a quick google on this "group" for "buying land rover" or similar or even what to lookfor will produce a wealth of past replies.Most older landies have the same issues.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Get the Defender - its great for carrying a combination of people/animals/luggage all at once - with a normal family and luggage you will never run out of room and there are oodles of spaces where you can stash things.

Downside is its a bit noisier than a Rangie, but having had a Range Rover and now a defender 110 200tdi for the last 4 years, I swear by the defender for the above reasons and for its towing ability both on and off road.

One tip for you - make sure you change the oil every 6000 miles or 6 months and dont use cheapo oil - the engine is virtually indestructible - also make sure you regularly oil check the gearbox, transfer box and axles and put the special grease in the swivels.

Reply to
David J. Button

Peter

Most definitly the Defender. An absolute work horse and looked after properly will reward you well. Dave. Had mine 11 years with no major issues what so ever. APART FROM PARTING WITH IT. d;;-(( Ps Try and obtain a 200 Series, best mechanical engine ever made, difficult but not impossible if you shop around.

Reply to
Dave Piggin