Wheel-arch "spats"/"extensions" for Lightweight

I know Simmonites sell wheel arch "spats" for the Lightweight Land Rover, extensions as for the Defender models to allow slightly wider tyres.

1: Anyone know of other sources?

2: Any comments on how big a job it is to fit them -- how are they secured, how do they stand up to use, that sort of thing.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I got mine from Paddock £55.00 for all 4 They are made from fiberglass with a rubber seal strip and I attached them with self tappers and little nuts and bolts. Fitting is easy, but they need a little pulling and pushing to fit right. They will also need a lick of paint. They stick out a couple of inches. I could find some pics if you want.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks, I have a set ordered (and yes, they were in stock).

Further reports will, do doubt, follow.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Rear wheel arches seem easier than front, possibly there's less chance for the wing to be distorted. And the side without the toolbox is easiest. There's a panel protecting the wiring for the rear lights, and you can use that with the self-tapping screws to clamp the extension in place.

Front footwells are damn awkward if they've been patched. You may need longer fixings than you expected.

They don't fill the recess for the door hinge, although the edge crosses it. The front of the sill is also awkward.

Front wheels _have_ to come off to get access for a drill. Rear wheels have more clearance, but still need the wheel clear to properly secure the front lower end.

Reply to
David G. Bell