When is the US going to get "real" Land Rovers?

Mostly around here it is Crown Victoria but we are seeing more Chevy Impalas as there has been a law suit with Ford and Ford will not see to many cities in my state.

And we have less over weight police these days. For one thing, the average LEO has only 3 years experience (most quit before they reach five years). Lots of young, athletic guys with big egos.

Reply to
N9NWO

Steve Firth ( snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I thought the H2 was a farcical joke restyle of a Chevy Suburb?

Reply to
Adrian

Am I getting my numbers mixed up? I thought the Tahoe derivative was the H3.

BTW, most amusing thing I have seen on the automotive front this year is a Hummer dealer in Paris, on the left bank near the Eiffel Tower. Was it really wise to call all the potential consumers "cheese-eating surrender monkeys"? And even if it was forgiveable, HTF do you drive a Hummer in Paris? I can barely get my Exploder through some of the streets.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , Steve Firth writes

In addition during the latest Gulf War the US had a huge problem when Turkey wouldn't allow military hardware to go through Turkey into northern Iraq. The HUMMVEE won't fit inside a Chinook (too wide) and has to be slung underneath. The LR will fit in a Chinook which makes life easier all round. Apparently they sourced stock 110 & 130 crew cabs locally, drove them over the boarder (humanitarian aid), then bolted their hardware onto the load beds.

As to 'proper' LRs in the US, I presume you can still import pre-1969 series ones?

Reply to
John Halliwell

It was a character on the Simpsons (Groundskeeper Willie, a Scot) who called the French "cheese-eating surrender monkeys". I don't think we can really assume he speaks for the entire American nation. Or Scottish. :)

David

Reply to
David French

Pre 1979 (25+ years old) vehicles can be imported as long as they meet whatever the US standard was in the year they were built. Also, there were a few NAS '93 D110's and '94, '96 and '97 D90's that were imported (they had roll cages and V8's).

Reply to
Charlie Choc

Yes I know.

No, the people spoke for themselves by picking it up, using it and then going on with that ridiculous "Freedom Fries" business.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The U.S. Marine anti-terrorist unit uses the Mercedes G series. Works very well for them. Not the landrover, but still it's nice to see them use something other than the hummer.

Reply to
Dan J. S.

|> Why can't the US get Defender 90s, 110s and 130s? |>

|> Why can't we have diesel powered Landies? |>

|> And why doesn't the US military use the Defender as a basic, and |> cheaper, vehicle for the average troops? | |The U.S. Marine anti-terrorist unit uses the Mercedes G series. Works very |well for them. Not the landrover, but still it's nice to see them use |something other than the hummer.

Isn't the G-Wagon costing over $100,000? At that point it is no different than the Hummer.

Reply to
R. David Steele

|R> But in my experience, the Landie seems to be a tough as most |R> Hummers plus it maneuvers down narrow European streets. And it | |I guess we're screwed when we go to war against France.

Most definitely if we are talking about French women!!!

Reply to
R. David Steele

Only the tarted-up civvy ones with bunion lubrication and automatic nose-hair clippers. Utility Gs are cheap(er).

Other than being smaller, lighter and more capable.

Reply to
QrizB

On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:17:35 GMT, R. David Steele enlightened us thusly:

ah, well, there the larger body size of the Hummer may come in handy, more room to maneuver[1] inside...

[1] well, we ar talking about Americans :-)
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:52:37 -0500, N9NWO enlightened us thusly:

and guns... eek.

back to that "private islands for sale" site I think.

apparently, you can buy 5400 acres of island in Fiji complete with 400 head of cows, herd of goats, village full of workers, etc., for about $15M US.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:34:06 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) enlightened us thusly:

I think they've a new one based on a 110XD.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:48:57 -0500, N9NWO enlightened us thusly:

and when was Canada last at war?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:16:08 GMT, R. David Steele enlightened us thusly:

apart from being half the size, so it'll actually fit into an urban environment...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

WW2 - lots of them dies very bravely too.

If you mean on their own land it was in 1812 when the US decided to invade Canada and make it American but got beat and the borders returned to where they were before the invasion.

Reply to
Exit

Twas Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:18:43 GMT when "Exit" put finger to keyboard producing:

something very satisfying about that.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In the recent Gulf conflict the Turkish refused to allow US military vehicles to cross the border into northern Iraq so the US special forces were supplied with civvy-spec Defender 110 crew-cab TD5's in white. They were reported to be very impressed with them except the colour which they immediately daubed with local mud.

Reply to
Exit

History rarely repeats itself, though.

Reply to