Where to check transfer case gear oil in 95 Discovery??

We just got a 95' Land Rover Discovery today and were checking and changing all the oils and fluids. We can't see to find where to check the transfer case gear oil, can someone help? It's probably a silly question but my husband's a mechanic (& a good one lol) and can't even find it. In 30 yrs of mechanic work he's never even

*worked on a Land Rover. Please help. Amelia
Reply to
Amelia

It on the side of the case behind the brake drum where the brake cable gets in the way.

Reply to
Peter

On or around Sat, 02 Jun 2007 22:21:57 -0500, Amelia enlightened us thusly:

filler/level plug on the side of the casing, drain plug at the bottom. drain and refill every 24K/2 years, if you're doing it right.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thank to you both, I appreciate it very much. I really like this vehicle but it sure has alot of fluids/oil sprayed all over the bottom compared to my 87' Toyota 4Runner (which I expected after research). We'll go through 1 by 1 and get it fixed. The posts on this sight have been very helpful. Amelia (Sorry if top posting is the wrong way to post in this forum. In looking through posts I couldn't figure out if it was correct or not)

Reply to
Amelia

Glad the group could help. In this, like any other usenet group, bottom posting is the convention.

Reply to
EMB

The entire underside was coated with oil, quite a mess. I got underneath it (literally) with a power washer and cleaned places that hadn't been cleaned in its entire 12 yrs. Found the plug to check the gear oil easily then. ALL that oil underneath was/is coming from a gasket (or seal) up front under the engine. My husband called it some sort of v pan gasket or something (I don't remember exactly). No place else was leaking, a nice surprise I hadn't expected :-) The suspension is certainly impressive looking compared to other vehicles I've seen. You know....I'm really liking this Discovery alot. Amelia

Reply to
Amelia

On or around Tue, 05 Jun 2007 00:08:23 -0500, Amelia enlightened us thusly:

Looks like LR has hooked another one :-)

engines mostly leak from the front or real crank seals or sometimes the sump gasket.

ah. which engine? You can get leaks on the 300TDi from the crankcase ventilation thing on the side of the head, which has an O-ring.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I asked again-my husband calls it a "valley pan gasket". He's a mechanic though so who knows what it's really called. Engine....It's a.v8 automatic and I believe he said 3.9 L. (182 hp?). I remember he commented it seemed like a small engine for a V8. I hope I answered right. I added full coverage ($500 deductable) for it today and it was only $426.00 US per year! I was so surprised at how cheap it was. Full coverage for my 20 yr old Toyota 4Runner is $528 per year. I don't know why this 12 yr old Land Rover is so much cheaper but I'll take it :-) It also came with brand new 31" Interco TrXus tires, even a brand new spare. That was a plus for me . Amelia

Reply to
Amelia

On or around Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:44:42 -0500, Amelia enlightened us thusly:

ah, OK. there is indeed a valley gasket although if it's leaking it's equally likley to be the seal at the relevant end, rather than the gasket itself. The valley gasket is on the top of the engine underneath the inlet manifold.

Original gaskets are plain metal ones but you can get composite ones to replace 'em with which are said to be better.

Reply to
Austin Shackles