Which tyre

All,

Here I am again with tyre related questions. This time I have to do something since their wear triggered an advisory at the MOT.

I was kind of set on BFG A/T 235/85x16 because I currently have BFGs and I liked them a lot. The local tyre shop ants £120 per tyre though... He mentioned General Grabber AT2 and then said they are at £96. Not much cheaper.

Anybody got any experience with the GGs? They seem to have the same pattern as the BFGs. How do they wear?

Also, any good cheap place only that would sell fitted on steel modular wheels?

Cheers,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

BFG well worth the money, IMHO. Great traction anywhere and great mileage .. Sell them on @ 25000 miles and get about £250 for them ... 'cos they'll still have ~ 8 mm tread depth left .. or they'll last with a loss of off-road 'bite' though still better than many others for another 25000 miles ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx mobile

On or around 24 Jan 2009 18:32:14 GMT, "Paul - xxx mobile" enlightened us thusly:

YMMV, though.

grabber AT2 seem pretty good. Need to take it easy in the wet for the first week or so, I've found, they can be a bit slidey-feeling. After that they grip OK on-road for what is basically a 50-50 tyre. Off-road, I think the tread pattern is a tad more open than the AT-KO, although not much in it and similar shaped blocks. If you're going mud-plugging, any AT tyre will not work miracles. For average sort of off-roading and green lanes, they'll be fine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

At the moment I have BFG trac edge's and the AT KO looks like the nearest approximation. I am very happy with the trac edge's. Yes, they are not the greatest in mud, but then most of the area where I lane is rocky. And they are good on road too. Which is why I think the AT tread will be good for me.

I am more worried about the life expectancy of General Tire's, compared to the BFGs.

Cheers,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

On or around Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:06:46 +0000, Fred Labrosse enlightened us thusly:

it's the usual price vs wear rate thing. There's also the matter of damage to consider, if you think you're likely to damage a near-new tyre, the more expensive it is the more the loss. If your activities aren't likely to do that, it doesn't need to be factored in.

BFG have a huge reputation for lasting forever, although I never get tyres to last as long as some folk say they do, not even BFGs. Undoubtedly they do last well though, but then so they darn well should at the price.

Can't say how long the GT2s last, not had a set long enough to wear 'em out. They don't seem to be too quick-wear though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've had AT/KOs on a Ninety, a D1 and a RRC. I would estimate an average life of about 35k miles from a set. Excellent on-road, pretty good off it, and look the biz IMO.

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:25:29 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

now that's about credible. It's the people claiming 50K plus miles per set that I don't believe.

Mind, I was the one who got about 14K from a set of Pirelli ATs. Having said that, they were fantastic on wet tarmac, obviously a soft compound.

GT2s look good, too. The set on the Rangie is looking OK so far.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

I think the 50k+ claims relate to Mts. I got that from mine but by that time they were so distorted it was impossible to balance them, When I replaced them (with AT/KOs) they still had loads of tread left but I was fed up with the vibration.

Reply to
hugh

I'd agree, 50k might be feasible and legal, but not advisable. At 25k mine were still viable on and off-road, with about 8mm tread _but_ they had lost a lot of 'bite' off-road .. even green laning I couldn't climb out of ruts easily.

And another _but_ they sold well on ebay, I guess 'cos the tread was still relatively deep ... ;) Which made them very cost-effective. I fully intend to do the same when this set get to the same state where I can feel them sliding when I know they should bite.

Then I'll get some MT's ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx mobile

Le 24/01/2009 19:17, Fred Labrosse a écrit :

I had GG AT2's on my P38 for road and bit of green-laning stuff. Really liked them, but I got them cheaper than that as I recall - I got them mail order and then got my local tyre place to fit them - if you have a nice local I found they do it for you if you give the fitter a tenner, but best ask first in case they want a fortune!

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

On or around Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:37:29 +0100, Matt M enlightened us thusly:

set of 4 on the Rangie were about £360 inc vat and fitting, last year in July/August time.

Tyres in general seem to have gone up. 's not that long ago that the BFGs were under a hundred and lesser ones down about 70-80 each.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My BFG TracEdges were fitted on the car when I bought it. They weren't new and still have between 7-8mm and 3mm, depending on the tyre and where you look (nearside front is a bit more worn out on the outside than inside). I have done 30k miles with them so far.

They are still legal and fine on road. However, they lack a bit on anything else than tarmac. So my current plan is to buy a set of AT/KO with wheels (I anyway have to buy wheels because my current ones are too narrow for

235/85s) and will play the game of swapping wheels depending on what I do. I'll see for how long I'll carry on doing that (whichever comes first of my current tyre ending their life or me getting bored with doing that ;-).

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

And I was told by my local fitter that they are due to go up again soon...

Another reason why I want to buy a new set now.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

So long as you have a compressor, air powered jack and impact wrench it takes a long time for boredom to set in.

Reply to
EMB