Who designed the Range Rover Classic?

....They need to be shot.

Having spent the best part of a week on and off swapping the heater matrix (thank you Richard @ Beamends for the advice - it was a dodgy one, supplier ordered another one, all OK), I thought I'd try and resolve the issue I have with my fan only working on full pelt.

So having finally got the heater box back in I consulted my troubleshooting guide...and the likely cause is the resistor pack.....which is located inside the assembly. Great.

Looks like I'm going to have to live with a 1 speed fan setting because there's no f'ing way I'm getting that heater assembly out again. Of course it could be the fan switch itself, which some of it is a bit melted, but if its not that then it has to be the resistors.

Why put the resistor pack (which I believe costs about 30 quid) which is likely to wear out so deep inside the assembly? Imagine if I'd have had to pay a dealer to resolve it...."£30 parts, £bazillion labour"

Bloody Land Rovers....why do I bother?

-- Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Pacman

Other people will probably correct me, but it wouldn't surprise me if the original design was easier than that, but at some point in the life of the vehicle (25 years wasn't it?) it was all "simplified" into a single unit.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

I don't know about the Rangerover, but other cars I've owned have the resistor pack in the blower housing, so they can be cooled by the airflow. My Saab 9000 was this way, but was easily removed from the side of the blower. Does "inside the heater pack" mean in the airflow?

Reply to
Danny

A lot cars have the resistor pack in the airflow deliberatly, as it's a wire-wound resisitor and gets quite hot.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I wouldn't consider the resistors to be a wearing item.

Danny's comment about the location in the air flow makes sense.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Sun, 2 Jul 2006 21:03:54 +0100, "Pacman" enlightened us thusly:

if you can get access to the wires on the back of the switch, try connecting them to see if the fan works. Resistor failure is prone to happen on other things, but mostly not for 10 years or so, it's hardly a regular service item.

But I sympathise. Getting the heater out of a disco 1 is just as bad, dash out to get at it, took me about 4 hours start to finish.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Me too! Similar experience changing the matrix in my wifes Golf, I was alerted to the rather labour intensive job by the way the guy at G&S (GS&F now!) reacted when I asked for a heater matrix! I think they built the car around it. Not helped by the very rusty bolts holding it into the bulkhead (now no longer holding it onto the bulkhead as I hack-sawed them off and glued it back on!!)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

What is it with car heaters? The matrix does fail, the speed resistors do, and of course on the P38, so do the poxy rubber O rings. Yet to do mine. Drip, drip, dribble, dribble. Officially another dash out job. There must be a better way they could design a heater with servicing in mind.

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

Im my experience of car heaters, the car is built round the heater matrix ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I too have an RR Classic which is missing a heater blower speed. Diagnosic work with a multimeter shows that the switch is fine, but one of the resistors must have failed. The fact that it's buried within the blower unit is what's discouraged me from trying to fix it. But thanks for the (pretty obvious really) observation that placing it there puts it in the cooling airflow -- why didn't I think of that?

My (expensive) Electrical Troubleshooting Manual turned out to be for the 1994 model year Classics, and that suggests that for the very final vehicles the resistor pack was positioned elsewhere (wish I'd realsied that before I spent an hour trying to reconcile my diagnostic readings with the wrong wiring diagram!), so it looks as though someone realised the folly of the part price/labour charge imbalance at the eleventh hour.

Heaters don't HAVE to be buried -- my wife's Fiat Cinquecento allowed you to withdraw the heater matrix from under the bonnet in just 10 minutes or so, and the blower motor was easily accessible under the parcel shelf. But I admit it WAS a much simpler car.

GRAEME ALDOUS Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

They don't wear in the same way as bearings or brake pads wear but being wire wound they do "age" and if not cooled will become brittle and fail, either open circuit or partially short circuit.

Reply to
SteveG

What for?

Reply to
GbH

I though they were built around the windscreen wiper rack.

Gordon.

Reply to
gordon

Dunno but I have met the wife of the guy who first came up with the first LWB landie. Heaters are not the sort of thing to worry about in series motors cos they never work anyway. It sounds as if Rangies are not much better, its best to find a workaround I reckon.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Tue, 4 Jul 2006 17:24:39 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

Rangie heaters are excellent, as are discos, but getting the heater unit out to work on it is a nightmare.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That is what they call "swings and roundabouts" I suppose, you can either get at the bugger or it works but you can't get at it if it screws up.

Reply to
Larry