Why does my TD300 (all diesels?) need a vacuum pump for the servo?

I was wondering why does my TD300 (all diesels?) need a vacuum pump for the servo when pertrol engines don't - I would have thought that the vacuum on the inlet manifold would be much the same on both. Can someone enlighten me please? Is it because of the turbo?

Regards

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Think about it, there's no restriction to air entering the inlet manifold therefore no chance of vacuum build up. To make matters worse in that respect, as you say, the turbo actually pressurises the inlet but when the accelerator is released on the petrol, the butterfly valve strangles the inlet causing a vacuum build up with no need for an exhauster pump.

Reply to
Oily

Thanks for that Oily, that answers my question however I'm now wondering how the air into a diesel engine is regulated if there's no restriction/butterfly as in a petrol engine.

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
Tony Hackett

The air isn't regulated, the fuel is.

Reply to
EMB

Thanks for that Oily, that answers my question however I'm now wondering how the air into a diesel engine is regulated if there's no restriction/butterfly as in a petrol engine.

Cheers

Tony

There is no restriction, generally the engine speed/ power is controlled by the amount of fuel injected.

Reply to
Oily

.

Cheers Oily