will diesel eberspakkers run on SVO?

Am temporarily feeling flush and thinking of finally buying myself an eberspacker for the 2A. will a diesel eber run on a diesel/SVO mix? or on biodiesel? or will it only work with proper derv?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Give it a separate tank and run it on red diesel, which should be cheaper than veg. A tank from an old lawnmower would do, any mower repair places should be able to sort you something out.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Nice idea. One of them waiting for me to take it to the tip too! Shall resue the tank!. All the stuff ive googled seems to say derv only for them. They dont seem to use much juice either so wouldnt object too much to the normal stuff.

Reply to
Tom Woods

A chap I know goes camping in his pinzgauer up in the hills of scotland as part of a scottish bothy preservation society and uses a diesel webasto to help keep himself warm at night. It can go through quite a bit if left on all night so red diesel saves a fair old chunk of cash. I don't know however if you have to go through any expensive or bothersome hoops to be able to buy the stuff, ISTR there being some users here, perhaps they can let us know what you need to do in order to get some red diesel legally?

I've been told that petrol eberspachers are nasty things that tend to gas people so the diesel webasto is allegedly a better choice. No direct experience though, never been gassed by an eber or heated by a webasto ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:36:07 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

red diesel is due to disappear, ISTR...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not been gassed by the petrol eber in the 101 yet! - though it tends to stop working when its actually cold ;)

You could buy red derv from the chandlers here - but i thought the taxation situation changed on it a year or so ago? Is it any cheaper than normal diesel now.

Im only going to be using the heater in the landy when im driving it (or shortly before i plan to drive it!). Not planning on sleeping in it - got a 101 or a tent for that!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I've just had a quick google about and that only appears to apply to people using it for boats.

Don't quote me on that though and if you do know better, spill the beans! I've not found any hints that it's to be banned for any other uses, lots of people moaning about not being able to use it for boats though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

They're supposed to be more prone to gassing people than the diesel versions, however the person telling me this might have been comparing a 30 year old petrol to a modern diesel so take it with a pinch of salt.

Just found a price tracker forum that's quoting prices in the region of 45p/litre on average, so less than half the price of normal stuff and a bit cheaper than veg oil from most outlets.

Get a nice big extension hose for the eber and run it into the tent, right into your sleeping bag ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

buy red diesel legally ? easy find a garage in a rural i.e. farming area (Canal Garage Crooklands nr Kendal springs to mind ) boatyards plant hire or a truckstop they carry it for agri vehicle and other off highway uses. Derek

Reply to
Derek

The 101 does have a 30 year old petrol version! (its a B4L IIRC). Ive not heard of anybody gassed yet. Cant see why it would happen unless your exhaust fell off or something!

hehe! The one in the 101 currently has no hose or fins or anything on it and vents directly into the cab. If you dangle a temp probe right infront of it it maxes it out at 70 degrees C :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

In message , Ian Rawlings writes

The plan according to HMRC is that boats will still use "red" but will be liable for a proportion of the duty (they accept that the engines are used for power and heating when moored which is an exempt usage). This is due to be implemented in November 2008 and only affects pleasure craft (commercial waterway users still get fully rebated red) so canal/riverside outlets will still supply red for the foreseeable future.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

I think that's one of the issues, supposed to be harder to die from inhaling diesel fumes. A chap who repairs pinzes in the US said that he gets a frightening number of ebers in that are in a close to deadly state, with people bodging them to make them work. He and a mechanic were almost overcome by fumes in the matter of a minute or two with one. He even showed us a few pictures of bodged pipes with slapped-on exhaust gum, or rivetted patches and other such stuff.

I'm tempted to get a modern webasto for mine, but with the rubbish house heating I've got I'd probably end up fixing wheels to it and tying it to my belt so I can walk around the house with it following me.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I just take a jerry can down to the local garage, they unlock the pump and fill it up, I pay the money and fill in a register with the date/qty/use/name not sure if my address is required as well.

Bulk quantities has further regulation and probably needs registration with HMR&C but I don't think that is particulary difficult or costly. You just need to show where the fuel is being used, ie not for road transport.

It might get complicated with VAT if you have an older oil boiler than runs on 35sec oil (gas oil, red diesel) rather than 28sec oil (kerosene, heating oil), fuel for domestic heating has 5% VAT, fuel for other uses has 17.5% VAT.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

High runs his on red diesel (petrol,propane, butane, diesel Hugh)

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Sat, 1 Dec 2007 00:53:35 +0000, Will Wilkinson enlightened us thusly:

Internal Fire's bloke was complaining about it...

Reply to
Austin Shackles