Winch Recomendations please...

Hi all,

Just starting to think about getting a winch for my 90 as i seem to be relying on others too much of late!! - Problem is there seems to be hundreds to choose from.

I quite like the idea of a Warn one (not too original I Know) but there are lots out there and so spares should be plentiful as and when needed...

XD9000i looks like an OK one, then theres the 9.5XP and 9.5ti.

From what I can see the 9000i has a 4.6hp motor whilst the 9.5XP and

9.5ti have 6hp motors.

In reality does the larger motor make any difference and how useful / necessery is the thermometric indicator? Will the 9000i automatically cut out if it gets too hot or will it just melt itself? Are there any other key differences?

Outisde of the Warn camp what others would be recommended?

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

4.6HP = 3.4kW = 290A at 12v 6.0HP = 4.5kW = 375A at 12v

Ouch.... big cables, big alternator, big battery?

With these sort of power levels some sort of thermal indicator could be useful you don't want the thing to cut out at a critical moment. With an indicator you know it's getting hot so could pause and let it cool just before you get to a "point of no return".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have you considered hydraulic winches.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:35:11 -0500, Dave Liquorice wrote (in article ):

I would suggest looking at mile marker. it is hydraulic and runs off the steering pump. The US Army is changing all of it's hummers over.

I am still looking for someone who actually has one so I can find out how well it works.

Hud

Reply to
Disco Duck

Hi Dave

I've owned / run and recovered with.......... Superwinch X9, Come-up 9000, Warm M8000, Warn HS9500i,Warn 9.5 XP and the old faithful Warn 8274. In my humble opinion the best 'in-line' winch is the XP, if you have a tight budget then the Come-up/Epi range are excellent value - but if you want the best, you cant beat an 8274 with the latest XP 6hp motor bolted on, its awesome! You'll find numerous arguments Hyd vs. Elec - all I'ld say is look at the top extreme motors in the UK, 99% run elec and the majority 8274's.

Regards

Lee

Reply to
LEE ARGYLE

Don't forget to add on the extra current that becomes lost to heat in your calculations...... I use an old commercially rated Ramsey 8000 (DCY Series), it's never let me down since I replaced the wiring to it with

1-gauge hi-flex welding cables!! and it'll pull all day without complaining. It is powered by a 100Ah tank battery, charged by it's own 130A alternator, totally separate from the vehicle electrics. On stall torque, it will draw nearly 500 Amps, simply winding cable on under no load draws 80 Amps.

Frien had one on his recovery unit some years back, he said it worked pretty well, but you needed the separate hyd pump for it, it was way too slow using the vehicle's own power steering pump. Must admit, if I was buying a new winch I'd seriously consider a hyd one. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:51:30 -0500, Disco Duck enlightened us thusly:

doesn't drain the battery, but won't pull a dead motor. would be ideal for recovering someone else, but less effective for self-recovery when you drown the engine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Take a look at:

Tom Gilmour

This is interesting... I am sure recently I have seen in an add somewhere an 8274 with dead motor going for next to nothing. If another one pops up is it simply a case of buying an xp motor and literally bolting it on??

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

Hi Jon

Yep - it's that easy. Two bolts and the XP motor is on! Very popular on the winch challenge circuit - awesome performance. I was involved in a recovery a couple of months ago, RR bellyed out in a bog, myself with a winch line down to him (90 - 8274 & XP motor) and a second winch line also down to him from another 90 (come-up9000) next to me. We both started winching and the RR was released from the 'hole' , but he still didn't have traction and needed to be winched to firmer ground - the

8274 still pulling the dead RR was faster winding in than the come-up with a slack line and no-load!

Regards

Lee

Reply to
LEE ARGYLE

In message , Tom Gilmour writes

I have one on my 90 and have fitted a few for customers.

They are powerful and if installed correctly very reliable. I have not touched mine since I fitted it 5 years ago.

I run a dedicated pump for it which is the best option.

Reply to
Marc Draper

I saw one in operation a while ago and it was slow ish but never stalled once and no revving and just kept pulling with 3 other landies to hold the one with the milemarker winch stationary so you had 4 Land Rovers all roped together and it was pulling a bottomed out new shape Range Rover out of a muddy hole.. The most impressive thing I have seen for a long time, and the most strange thing was how quiet it all happened the one with the winch was just ticking over or may be just a bit faster and it just kept pulling, if you want to get stuck and then want to get out get one of these coz I recon they are good.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Milemarker