Winches

What does anybody think about

I've mailed the seller and they claim it's a Chinese knock-off of a Ramsey winch.

Worth the money, or is a cheap winch likely to be a seriously false economy?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Looks good, doesn't it. My own feeling is that it would probably be a false economy, but then again, if it's the difference between having a winch and not having one, it's probably nice to have. Remember you'll need to factor in the considerable cost of a bumper too, potentially.

If I get a winch, I think I'll stick to a Goodwinch or Milemarker, based on what I've heard about them. It's not the sort of thing you want to have problems with.

David

Reply to
David French

So how much are you going to use it

If its for winch challenges - forget it

If its for expedition use - forget it

If its for occasional recrational use and if it fails not the end of the world or you just want to have a landy with a winch on it then probabily not a bad deal

All in my humble opinion of course

Find out if ramsey or other spares will fit it OK for when it does fail

Rich

Reply to
Rich Clafton

I was rather thinking of using it for limited agricultural type things on some of my relatives farms. Nothing life critical, just a "Useful to have".

I'm in the process of trying to rig my car for a long trip I've been planning for a few years now, from the Scottish Highlands to various bits of Europe, probably visiting relatives on the way.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I have a warn 8274 and this really is the mother of all winches. I am not sure what you are driving but the 8274 weighs 53kgs and then you still need the bumper mods etc.

I would suggest that it is a bit heavy for the likes of Disco and Rangie. Best on a ser wagon or possibly a 110, but I think you need to beef up the front springs then. I have an extra leaf on the front of mine (Ser iii).

If you could pick up one of these second hand, and get it refurbed (warn USA kindly sent me a repair manual and cat) then it would be as good as new as these are industrial winches and will outlive the poxy planetry gear driven alternatives.

I am not sure of the other offering but I think Superwinch also make a good setup as it was used on the trophy vehicles for years and we certainly know they got a good workout!

I would not be inclined to get a mickey mouse winch if you plan to use it often on a farm. I would also highly recommend the use of a snatch block, as this lowers the load on the whole system (motor, battery etc). You also need an assortment of chains, shackles straps etc and a good heavy tow strap or snatch strap is a good thing to put over the cable in case it snaps. Gloves are also a must and it is a good idea to winch from inside the vehicle with the bonnet up, not standing next to the winch as some are included to do.

I would say rather save money and get something good, even if it is second hand, rather than a dodgy winch of untrusted pedigree. All just my opinion of course.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie