Window Problem

I have a 99 disco I and the rear passenger window has gone down and now will not go back up.

I figure it has to be either the switch or the actual motor that rolls the window up and down. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should figure out which one is the problem?

So far I have taken apart the door and looked at the wiring. I have unplugged the switch connections and blew them out to clean them and plugged them back in. Still doesn't work. Neither the switch up front near the driver's seat nor the switch on the passenger door works.

Also, I was wondering if there is a way to just get the window to go up and then just leave it there? Is there a way to do that manually?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
jsovick

i dont know if this helps with disco's but saab ones often stop when the motor and gear gets worn and it cant lift it up from the very bottom position. Try operating the switch at the same time as giving the bottom of the window/mechanism a little helping hand by levering with a crow bar or something.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Go to

"tech" and look for "Rear electric windows" in the index, this fixed my problem. You can move the widow up/down by applying 12V to the wires at the connecting plug behind the door trim, use a fuse in the power lead.

Reply to
Greg False

I had to do this with my RRC front near side window on Friday. I think the motor's had it: a reasonably sold TAP with a hammer got the motor going for about two inches. A big screwdriver in the ^ formed by the window mechanism, plus the switch held down, plus pulling the glass from above got it back up. Eventually. This is a job for two contortionists...

Follow-up questions: are second-hand or reconditioned motors worth the trouble or should I go for new? Is there a cheap source? How tricky are they to replace? TIA.

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
Chris

No joy. After closer examination, off side rear window is fine, near side rear window is fine from the door switch: the switch on the front panel will drop the window but not raise it. The driver's window is fine up and down and the passenger window is very slow and creaky and feels like it's on the way out.

While I was poking around the ECU behind the switch panel, I came across an interesting selection of unconnected leads: one pair is black and red/green labeled Left Hand, another is black and brown/green labeled Right Hand, and a third is a taped together group of three, one white/yellow, one black and a thinner red/brown on a separate plug.

There's nowhere obvious for them to plug in in but they don't look as if they should be floating around in the middle of nowhere. Any advice would be very welcome! TIA.

Reply to
Andrew