Window rubber?

Hi,

I have a couple of splits at the corners of the window rubber on the rear door of a 97 Discovery.

I was thinking of applying some black RTV silicone type stuff to stop them getting worse or water getting in.

Is this sort of stuff OK to use for this purpose??

Thanks Pete

Reply to
Peter D

Some silicone is OK, some isn't. If the door's rotten anyway then use anything and look for another door/vehicle - if you want to keep the vehicle or if the door isn't rotten then replace the seal - I'd expect a local auto windscreen company would replace the seal for a reasonable price. It's just going to crack more. Halfords sell rubber seal conditioner, might be worth going over all the seals in the vehicle to save any others before they get past it.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

On or around Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:36:06 +1200, "Peter D" enlightened us thusly:

well, I put black silicone in the cracks on mine (rear quarter window, the one behind the door, and back door are the favourite ones) and also behind the top of the windscreen where there was also a leak. seems to have worked so far.

mine was ordinary silicone sealer as sold by the decorating shop.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Our discovery has cracks in the rubber on the rear door and rear side windows. I used normal black silicone form Homebase - seems ok so far, been on there a few years now. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a try......

Pete

Reply to
Peter D