windscreen

So how did my plastic pot thingey manage to scratch the glass? I have vague memories of the Mohr (sp?) index of hardness which didn't IIRC rate plastic pot thingies as being harder than glass ;-)

Reply to
Richard Savage

Current laminated front windscreens have a plastic layer sandwiched between two glass layers.

Reply to
Dougal

empire!

There are some 'plastic' items which are not all that they seem. Some have embedded abrasive e.g.:

(look at the red filament items) Your kitchen 'splodger' may not be as innocent as you first thought - but you now know that!

Reply to
Dougal

If it scratched the outside of the windscreen and the scratches aren't on the inside then perhaps your pot thingie is made from diamonds ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Indeed. Evidence of it's power is just about out of my line of sight

- but not quite :-(

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

They're expensive but not _quite_ that expensive :-)

And, if it can scratch glass why won't it shift the burnt bits in my grill pan?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Because that's made from Kryptonite.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Surprisingly thick and tough plastic layer as well. About 1mm thick, it's not a bit of poly bag...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And there was me thinking the ONLY green things around here were Lanes

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

Indeed, I thought the idea of it was to support the glass and stop it cracking, perspex is very strong but scratches extremely easily so the laminate uses one to protect the other.

I punched a windscreen fron the inside once and broke it, didn't even hit it that hard, so don't go punching windscreens from the inside. The outside glass layer cracked.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The idea is to keep the broken windscreen in one piece. Perspex is not soft and flexible like the centre layer of the screen laminate and it is also very brittle and deteriorates rapidly with vibration, not the sort of material you would want in a screen. I think I prefer the toughened screen which disappears in millions of bits rather than trying to drag my head back through a laminate screen.

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:07:51 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

laminated ones have 2 layers of glass bonded to a plastic sheet in the middle.

Toughened ones are of course all glass.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 28 Mar 2009 01:54:46 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

If you hit your head on a laminated screen hard enough to go through it, I venture to suggest you'll have other problems. It's a lot tougher (to penetrate with a head-shaped object) then your skull, for example.

which doesn't mean the glass parts don't crack easily, of course.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

But one would have gone through a toughened screen. And crash landed face down on the bonnet coverd with lots of very sharp glass gravel then the weight of your body may have dragged your face back through the opening over the bits of glass still held in the rubber... Or you may hve been thrown completely out of the vehicle which, generally speaking, is not very healthy either.

I think the best approach is not to hit the windscreen in the first place and wear a seat belt properly(*) so that you stay inside the crumple zones a slow down relatively slowly.

(*)And quite a few people don't know how to do that, just fling it across willy nilly over their thick outdoor coat, lap belt way up over the tum not low down over their hips and/or shoulder strap on their neck.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wouldn't you just. :-)

I also agree with that, I'm not looking to test the theories anyway. :-)

Reply to
Oily