Windscreen Wipres not working.

96/97 Discovery 300 Tdi 3 door manual.

Went through a Ford today, whilst a White Van Man came, bloody quickly, the other way, and the top windscreen seal let a fair amount of water in. Since then the windscreen wipers won't stop, they're constantly running on intermittent, and the interval switch doesn't change the interval, they just keep going ...

All other functions appear to be fine, the windscreen washers work, the different speeds work, the wipers just won't turn off. I'm afraid the constant rubbing of dry blades on dry screen will do some damage to both, eventually.

Tried pulling the fuse and leaving it out for an hour and replacing it, a-la Windows ... ;) Tried drying everything out around and about, and left everything open and in the sun drying for about three hours. Strangely there didn't seem to be any water anywhere near the wiper stalk at all, though it did get my Sat Nav but that's working OK now.

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix it?

How easy is it to remove the wiper switch and steering column cowlings?

Anyone experienced this before, and if so how did you fix it?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

After such a horrific experience the fact that the only fault is a malfunctioning widscreen wiper speaks volumes of the strength of your Landrover.

David

Reply to
rads

Hi. I'm not sure how you search a newsgroup like this but my memory says this problem has been discussed on here very recently. I think someone explained what the fault was and how to fix it, but I'm afraid I wasn't paying proper attention. :o(

Hope you find an answer.

Kind regards,

McBad

...and McBad spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Go to Google Groups, type in alt.fan.landrover, then your search terms. Goes back to 2001, most times I look at it.

Embarrassing to read the tosh one was spouting 5 years ago. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I had exactly the same thing with my 300Tdi defender. I changed the column stalk and the park switch but to no avail. Eventually replaced the wiper motor and that cured it. Check the park switch first as this is the cheapest option. It is a small

11/2" white plastic box stuck onto the outside of the motor housing with a small push nipple that goes into the motor which cuts the power when depressed. It is easily removed and replaced. I'm told it is unlikely to be the column stalk so if the park switch doesn't cure it go for the wiper motor the small electrical inside are susceptible to water and eventually break down and cause the motor to run constantly. Hope this helps

Graeme

Reply to
Cassillis

Cassillis came up with the following;:

Spot on, thanks.

Didn't need any new parts, took the bits off, dried them out, bit of contact cleaner spray, replaced and they're working when they should and not when they shouldn't. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:37:02 +0100, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

There's an oddity developed on our 300TDi disco now - the wipers, when on intermittent, wipe from left to right and then start back towards the left, and having moved about 3" they pause for a fraction of a second, then start up again.

I assume, although not yet proven, is that this is the point at which the supply changes from direct feed from the intermittent wipe relay to indirect via the parking switch on the motor - the assumption therefore is that the supply through the parking switch is fractionally iffy and slow to come in. Could be the switch or could be a wiring fault.

Reply to
Austin Shackles