Wing top chequer plate

OK, I've bought some wing top chequer plate. Read the HBOL (useless)... The chequer plate needs to be bolted through the wing to fit it. How do I get at the inside of the wings to do this?

I'm guessing I need to remove the inner wing somehow, but thats about all I know, or is there a better way :)

Cheers Dave

Reply to
david.trevelyan.no

Gripfill?

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Dave

Reply to
Ian Wilkinson

Its a lot easier to drill it and use pop rivets!.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Not that i have done it, but that would be my advice. much easier, just using some big rivets. also leaves the top of the c/plate smoother than using bolts.

out of interest, what did the sections of c/plate set you back???

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

It was around =A360 from paddocks for black "deluxe" chequer plate (4.5mm I think). That included P+P. Apparently some black chequer plate is only 1.5mm thick and at that thickness for show really. Nicely made including countersunk holes for the bolts... (and the bolts are black).

Cheers David

Reply to
Dave

Cheers David

So, if not for show, what is the purpose of c/plate on the wings (not being antagonistic, just curious). is it mainly so you can stand on the wings without breaking them???

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Just pop rivet it! The chequerplate should have the holes already in it. Mark where they are and drill though (avoiding going into anything underneath - the heater intake being the easiest to hit). About 20 mins a side, even being very careful.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I have them (were fitted before I bought the 110) and initially thought it was for that. Now I can play with it, I even tell my kids not to sit on them...

I was used to a 110 I had early 90s and I could climb on the wings without c/p as well as on the roof without fearing to distort them, but it's not the case anymore, even with c/p on the wings.

Fred =20

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

I take it that's got nothing to do with the strength of the wings??

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

My 2A need chequer plate on the wings to hold the wings together!

At 30-40 years old they are getting a bit tired and have cracks/splits in which were growing when i leant on them and with vibration over time.

The chequer plte makes it feel a lot safer walking over them to fit my rag on too. I am less likely to slip off and it doesnt bend as much under me!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I stand on my wings anyway, however I am going to put some chequerplate on part of the roof rack because I keep denting the safari roof when I put my foot through.

Reply to
Larry

Dave

I take it you're pleased with the quality of the Paddocks chq./plate then ? I ask because I was thinking of getting some of the same, in black as well to fit to my 90. They didn't come with the gaskets as well by any chance did they ?

Cheers Ian.

Cheers David

Reply to
Ian Wilkinson

Easiest way is drill and pop rivit:

floor panels (bolted):
Richard

Reply to
Richard

Yes seems pretty good... well the screw holes seem to line up. No gaskets with it though, I'll probably use silicon sealant type stuff... The only problem I have is there is no hole for the arial. Not a major problem. I guess the arial unbolts under the wing, then its a case of fitting the chequer plate roughly, marking the hole under the chequer plate then drilling a hole, and attaching properly.

Cheers David

Reply to
Dave

Well, I didn't try to climb on them, but they do feel like they would bend/brake if I did.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

It depends on which chequerplate you fit - the "Standard Duty" wing tops will carry me (20 stone), but the "Light Duty" much thinner plate that has appeared recently (because it's a lot cheaper) is only really any good for decoration.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd