Wiper motor tip.

..... me too, but it was the rear one (1997 300 Tdi Disco)

My top tip:

The rear-wiper does not work if the driver's door is open. Most infuriating if you've spent all day carefully removing the rear-door trim and cleaning up a seized wiper mechanism then the chuffing thing still doesn't work........ until you shut the door and drive off!

I've found loads of references to this in afl ....... but only afterwards.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

Had to remove the wiper motor yesterday and getting the trim over the wiper spindles back on was a pig. You just can't get the windscreen rubber seal to come back over the top of the trim. As it goes on one end it pops off the other. Then, almost by accident, I discovered the easy way:

Bolt the trim back on with the rubber *under* the trim, then pop a rounded object like a Philips screwdriver under one end of the rubber and lift as you slide it along. Easy peasy. Hope this helps anyone in the same boat! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Cool! Didn't know that. Useful.

Also had a problem with the door locking, the button kept popping back up on locking it. Discovered that by moving the motor just an eigth of an inch on it's mounting plate cured the trouble. I was chuffed! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Sun, 4 Jun 2006 22:01:20 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

nor me. not had occasion to find out yet.

ours does that on the driver's door, must have a look at it. it's caused by a mis-lock, which causes it to unlock again, so it might simply be that it's not engaging quite fully, hence moving the motor. The back door on our disco seems to go "BRRRRRAP" rather than just "KADUNK" when it locks/unlocks, but it's still working.

Another "gotcha" on the 300-series discos: the electric window system has a cunning feature that for about 45s after you off the ignition the windows will still operate, which is dead handy when you pull up, switch off and then go "oh shit, I forgot to up the windows". However, opening the driver's door cancels this 45s thing. This is designed into it, for no obviously good reason, but can lead to much headscratching about why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 4 Jun 2006 21:46:55 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

it might do - gotta investigate the absence of self-parking on the disco here one day.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It wouldn't make any difference on the Disco but it's the same on RRC and if it worked with the rear flap open it would mangle the wiper arm. They probably use the same ecu and wiring though and that's why. It's controlled by the interior lamps.

When mine sometimes doesn't work, the rear door windows don't work either, but if I take out the cubby box tray and wriggle the plug on the ecu under there then it works for a while. Must get around to sorting it someday!

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:49:48 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

ah, that's a different one, if it's a 300 TDi disco there's a known issue with the window ECU.

see

for how to fix it - did this on ours and it's worked fine ever since.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That's pretty much what mine is doing Austin. The intermittant works for about a third of it's intended travel, which is fun, and the park doesn't work at all. The motor appears to be well sealed and the realay seems OK so I'm stumped. Bet they'll say it needs a new motor....

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Wed, 7 Jun 2006 22:19:20 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

ours goes across to the other side of the screen and stops.

it'll be the parking switch, which on older motors you could unscrew and change. Yet to investigate, mind, but that's what I'll bet on. and yes, I daresay it'll be new motor time. Or vandalise motor and invent new parking switch time.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Think you might need an angle grinder to get into the motor itself. Mine appears to be a sealed unit..... TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I think there is a complete analysis if this problem with the intermittent on the DiscoWeb. A fellow completely dismantled the motor to see how the system works. Basically wiper-type electrical contacts on a rotating disc. Grease could foul the contacts or they could break. He also said that the separate ground lead from the wiper to the car body was absolutely necessary to get the intermittent to work. Unfortunately cleaning and reconnecting the ground strap didn't solve my problem. Not fussy about dismantling the wiper motor as wiper are pretty necessary around here at any given time.

Reply to
Gordon Wedman

On or around Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:09:27 GMT, "Gordon Wedman" enlightened us thusly:

coo, I'll have a look. the window article was spot on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles