Wiring Gremlins! Help please.

The problems all started when I unscrewed the instrument panel to get access to my heater switch to clean them out a load of cr@p that had accumulated there. I didn't detach any of the wiring I just pulled it out slightly.

Since then I've had the following problems, in order of when they first started:

1) Brake light randomly flashes on - I've checked all the connections on reservoir etc, and the fluid level - all ok; 2) Side / head light light intermitterntly doesn't work, but lights do. 3) Side / head light light only on in reverse, with lights on. 4) Side / head light light not on, all rear lights not working, but breaklights do. (I have my land meter light wired to the side / head light light, which also isn't working, so it looks more like a wiring / current problem than just the bulb going).

I'm hoping I've just detached an earth or something, but has anyone else had this problem and can guide me to an obvious problem as I need to get it sorted (at least the lights) before I go down to Malvern on Sunday?

I'm going to check the bulbs at lunch incase I've just had a huge bulb failure, but I think the problem is going to be somewhere within the instrument panel.

Your help is greatly appreciated !

Cheers,

Gavin.

Reply to
Embo

We might be able to help if we all knew what model Land Rover you are talking about ....

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

Good point !

Sorry, it's a 200tdi Defender CSW !

Gavin.

Reply to
Embo

Further Information:

Bulbs all ok ! Fuses all ok ! No sign of loose wiring behind the dashboard. Intrument lights come on with side / head lights, but the actual 'indicator' light receives no current to it at all.

Is there a relay that could be sticking?

Reply to
Embo

No help at all but I had a 1993 Granada Scorpio, unbeknown to me the previous owner had left the lids loose on both fuse boxes which are located at the bottom of the windscreen just under the bonnet lip and thus got soaked through. Corrosion set in and before long those thousands of copper tracks were nicely corroded and a mush of copper oxide set in. The results were stunning.

I only learned of this the day after a freak downpour. I opened the Drivers door and the rear wiper came on.... closed it to go check and it went off.... opened the door to get in thinking I was going mad..frigging thing came on again. Spooky!

Good luck withit though and do let us know what it was when you find it!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

did you put all the screws back in properly?. not sure about defenders, but i had trouble with my car after removing some bits. i found that some stuff all earthed through one of the fixing screws in its corner and i hadnt put all the screws back (no point till i knew i'd fixed it i thought!) so wasnt getting earthed properly.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Well I've managed to fix the problem, although I'm not really sure what the culprit was. It looks like a combination of fitting a new bulb to the dashboard light (although there was no current going to the dead one?) emptying a rear light of water (earthing perhaps?) and generally unplugging / replugging and checking all the connections did it in the end, but only after I'd spent a few hours on it, stormed off in a huff then came back to it a few hours later did it work................?????

So if any of these things made a difference, or if I've just got a random problem that fixed itself I just don't know, but the lights now work, which is just as well as we got caught in a big storm on the way back from Malvern !!

Cheers,

Gav.

Reply to
Embo

Sounds like the "Prince of Darkness" strikes again.

Check all the ground (earth) connections. I've installed star washers to help alleviate these problems. Local dealer also recommended this procedure. They also informed me that the MKII were notorious for having starter difficulties that resulted in various TSB's to include star washers.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Jack

Just had a thought does the motor have those nasty Rists wiring connector blocks they are prone to burnt contacts worth splitting them and have a look for signs Derek

Reply to
Derek

Lee,

That was a common problem, even with the newer ones (bug eyes). After a good jetwash mine used to switch on main beam....:rolleyes:

No indication of this amazing failure - apart from being flashed a lot!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee