worn shaft?

good-day to you all, another little problem with my rrc that believe it or not i've only just noticed is the crank pulley...it is fitted squint..nut is tight on so must be a worn shaft? if nut comes loose then i've heard this can be a result, my question is...would a repair with epoxy metal stuff to take out the wear on shaft work? has anyone done this?..i've not taken the pulley off yet as i need the vehicle every day and powersteering etc seems to work ok with squint pulley...low speed engine vibe is not too bad and not noticeable at higher revs saga of bad starting continues too...more news soon cheers folks..steve

rangerover 200tdi s11a station wagon (transit power)?

Reply to
steve

I had exactly the same problem on my 200TDi Range Rover.

The pulley is held on the shaft by a Woodruffe key. Pulley bolt comes loose because it hasn't been loctited, pulley works loose and rocks about on shaft, causing wear to both shaft and key.

You need to dismantle this now and take a good look at the components before the key shears off altogether and the pulley starts to rotate on the crankshaft. If this happens, the wear will be considerable - this happened to mine and I ended up having to replace the crankshaft. If the wear isn't too bad you might get away with a new damper and key.

Bodges with epoxy are just that, and will come back to haunt you eventually IMHO.

-- Pete (remove '.dot' to reply)

Reply to
Pete Young