Write off Disco

Hi I had my TD5 written off recently due to the Storms of Jan, two windows broke and it was exposed to salt water spray for 12 odd Hours. I have tried to buy it back as I live on a Scottish island and it would come in useful for allsorts of things. However my Insurance company have stated it is a class A write off, now I thought that was burnt out or chassis damage. I drove my vehicle to the ferry and had been using it for 3 months or so with no problems. Any comments on why its a class A the engineers just says it because of the salt water but that could be repaired

Many thanks

Bootneck

Reply to
Bootneck

Salt water damage is automatically a category A write off, because of unseen affects within the wiring loom etc.

Reply to
SimonJ

Thanks for that,, I take it there is no way for anyone to buy a class A,, its just I have a feeling the engineer had sold the vehicle on before I had even been made an offer as it disappeared from the garage forecourt at 9am on the Monday morning after I had asked to buy iy on the Friday.. or maybe I being paranoid.

Many thanks

Bootneck

Reply to
Bootneck

Not unless you have a scrap disposal licence!

Once they have decided that its a Cat A, it will get disposed of immediately, so they don't have to continue paying storage charges at the garage.

Reply to
SimonJ

H'mmmm,

Exactly how much salt water is required to get it written off?

;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Lee_D" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Rather my sentiments. If the insured hadn't agreed a settlement and hadn't taken money, how has the insurance company suddenly acquired ownership of the damaged vehicle? From my days in college, I seem to recall there needs to be something called "offer, acceptance, and consideration".

What if the insured decided he would like to dispute the valuation and get in a private assessor? How is that to be achieved when the "evidence" has been spirited away?

Maybe this is in the small print of the insurance policy and I am just being paranoid....

But the company involved wasn't based in Inverness by any chance, was it??

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I don't know all the ins and outs of the different write-off classes, BUT until you accept an offer from the insurer it is still legally your property. The way forward is to inform them that you do not accept their offer due to the minimal damage and to inform them that you are unhappy with the Cat A assessment and insist that they re-assess it. Remind them of your legal rights to good title of the vehicle and that the longer they delay they are costing themselves excess storage fees. BTW, rule 1, do not allow the vehicle out of your posession until you accept a settlement offer! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Tell that the owners of old Fergies who use them for beaching boats.

Tell that the owners of boats for that matter, for whom salt water is little hazard.

The more I lern about insurance companies, the less I want to bother with them,

Reply to
Larry

So let me try and understand this concept.........

A boat, which is designed to be immersed in salt water, will not be damaged by salt water. A car interior, which is designed not to get wet, will be damaged by salt water.

Chalk=Cheese.

Reply to
SimonJ

What all that vinyl ???? and what about the Fergie tractors slowly rotting back to a natural state yet still working ?

It is about time the goverment acted on this environmentally damaging policy of writing of vehicles as if they were used condoms.

Reply to
Larry

Whilst I'm inclined to agree, immersion in sea water is not good for almost anything, it really is nasty corrosive stuff.

Steel will rust, Ali will corrode, especially at dissimilar metal junctions, Copper will turn to green gunge. All quite a slow process but with the minimum but highly complex engineering of a modern vehicle give it a year or two and the electrics will be falling apart along with the body. On a moncoque constructed vehicle that body rot, almost certainly hidden, could be lethal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I used to run a Land Rover which had been used for inshore lifeboat work.

The OP was talking about salt spray through broken windows, rather than immersion, and the write-off does look a bit extreme, but I think your last sentence does hit the key point. Modern designs are more vulnerable than a Series III diesel. And they cost more to repair. Also, read the accounts of how the Royal Marines do their amphibious training, which pop up in the magazines -- specially prepared vehicles, thoroughly washed in fresh water afterwards, and still with rust problems.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Why? It's not as if they are going to drive it into a landfill site and bury it whole. It will be broken up and provide second-hand spares for loads of other Discoveries and Range Rovers.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Wouldn't the insurance company want it crushed? Richard

Reply to
Richard

The engine alone would be worth quite a bit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Thoretically - but if the vehicle is rendered un-rebuildable at least some to sell them on into the parts trade. I've seen vehices where the A, B and C posts have been cut, and the chassis chopped to put them well beyond any economical repair. Unfortunately, the damage done by doing this (with grinder or gas axe) also renders most of the good bits unuseable, e.g seats, trim, dash etc so any recycling amounts to pretty much axles, gearbox and engine - part of the reason we got out of s/h parts.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 27 Jun 2005 06:37:52 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, what else do you do with a penis extension?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Surely they would need to test it further....then put it on a plinth....crush it indeed!! ;0)

or narrowband here...

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I recall Trillo's Ice cream van in Whitby, a landie conversion that spent most of its working life on the beach. I read about it being caught out in the tides once.

In Weston super Mare one used to be able to drive and park on the beach, I have done it without instant disintegration to my motor.

Everything rusts eventually, and the salt from the gritters does as much harm as any spray so should we write off everything that has driven behind a gritter ?

The insurance company has no leg to stand on. If only I were a lawyer I would eat them for breakfast.

If I dropped a camera in sea water I would be worried, but I would go on using it till it fell apart. (mind you I have plenty to spare)

Reply to
Larry

I think the moral of this story is that if you value your vehicle consider insurance as a legal necessity but not a route to restitution in the event of a mishap.

Weigh up the costs and the benefits before making a claim, and if you do not want to risk a write off, you might as well write of the costs of repairing it yourself.

Of course I cannot understand any personal attachement to a disco, they are all the same to me :)

Reply to
Larry