Xmas spirit

I removed the gear box drain plug and was pleasantly surprised to see that my Defender 90 was entering into the Xmas spirit with it's own little Xmas tree. It was so pretty I took a picture. Should I be worried about the state of my gearbox?

Regards,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave

Be afraid. Be very afraid. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Unfortunately you should probably be afraid about the future state of your wallet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

The state of worry will depend on how long it took for that wee tree to grow. It's not a good sign but it's not exactly an unusual phenomenon - I have seen this sort of thing regularly when changing gearbox oil on vehicles that sre still happily running.

Reply to
EMB

It doesn't look like there's any big teethy lumps in there, but it does look like you're losing a bearing, thrust washer or synchro ring. You'll find out when it stops working properly.......

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex wrote: but it

....or all of the above :-))

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

She's happily running, no problem with the gearbox so fingers crossed that she'll go a few more years yet :-) Might change the oil a bit more frequently to keep an eye on things though. I think it's been a long while before the gearbox oil has been changed so it's good to hear it's not too unusual.

Reply to
Dave

I thought that was fairly normal for a landrover gearbox? ;)

Assuming you cleared that tree off, just keep an eye on it and see if it grows back and how long it takes!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Dave uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I'd be more concerned if it were sawdust.

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see that if it's a while since the oil was done. It's alarming how long people leave the gearbox oils.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sat, 29 Dec 2007 09:05:15 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

me too. The actual amount of steel is small. The good bit is that it's not floating around with the oil, which is what the magnet is for.

If you pull it again in 2 months and it looks like that again, THEN you need to be worried.

Reply to
Austin Shackles