ZF autobox oddities

Mindful of the caveats about running the ZF for extended periods in neutral, while doing gas system tuning I put the T-box in neutral and the main box in D.

after some faffing, which of course gets the engine rather hot, with limited airflow (and yes, on this one, the viscous fan does cut back in!) I took it up the road.

subsequently had iffy gear selection from neutral and temporary loss of drive in any direction. Stopping the engine for a few seconds restored drive.

Low oil, or overheating, or both?

interestingly, the instructions in the HBOL for oil level checking are, IIRC, wrong: says to check at normal operating temp, whereas I thought the ZF was checked when cold, at idle, after running through all the selector positions down to 1 and back up to N.

AFAIK the box is good - it worked OK when I had it before, anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Most likely cause low oil.

Cold is correct, although some dipsticks are marked both sides - one for cold and t'other for hot.

If it's sat unused for some time, there may be some sediment has dislodged by getting it thoroughly hot, which has worked its way into the pickup filter..... If the level is ok, try replacing the screen filter. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:28:32 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I'll check it tomorrow morning when it's cold, and see what the score is. It was OK the other day.

oil cooler on this one is not really up to spec - it could do with fins, never got around to fitting 'em. It's made from a long piece of copper microbore which is folded so that it runs left-right-left-right etc in front of the rad. Never had problems on the road with it, but running stationary with the main rad pushing out lots of heat is another story.

don't suppose anyone has a spare autobox oil cooler that needs a good home?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
Badger

Oops. Hit send before typeing!

I fitted an engine oil cooler (gen. landrover defender part for V8, attaches to the 2 struts in front of the rad with little "U" bolts) and got hoses made with the correct end fittings and 8mm compression olive fittings the other end to attach to the autobox steel cooler pipes. Seems to be considerably more effective than the rangerover-type single tube cooler, but any decent aftermarket cooler should do the job, say something about 10" long and 5 or 6 " high? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Austin Hi,

here in Greece we sometimes do what Badger has proposed especially when the vehicle in question is used in heavy city traffic.

You just need to make the hoses fit to the different oil cooler's fittings and it is OK.

Take care Pantelis

P.S. I would be grateful if someone with first hand experience could pass me some information in relation to the modifications required (if any) in order to fit a V8 autobox onto a 300Tdi Discovery engine that was originaly fitted with an R380 gearbox. A friend in Egypt is considering doing it and having some first hand experience comments would be very helpful.

in

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:48:15 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

BTDT...

I reckon the one I made would be quite good if I got tuits to make fins for it. never had any problems with it before. I expect the oil's low and/or sludge in the filter, as you suggest - I'll have a look in a bit.

interestingly, I was re0installing RAVE on this computer and looking in that it also says check the 'box fluid when warm.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 01 Aug 2007 09:20:08 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

Oil level off the bottom of the stick when cold...

big list of stuff from the garage for the MOT - but nothing much unexpected. Rear X-member, an outrigger, a bit on the chassis somewhere, hole in the bulkhead, and a long list of trivial stuff that I'd fix anyway.

Heater blower seems to have died, which is a pity as I recall it being a bit of a pain to get at, though nowhere near as bad as on a disco.

Reply to
Austin Shackles