10k maintenance for RX330

will cost $249 from the dealer. my question is, will i need that kind of maintenance every 10k miles?? thanks

Reply to
bw

Check the owners manual for the recommended maintenance. For years when all that is needed are simple fluid changes you'll save big $ by going to Jiffy Lube or any place other than the dealer. For more significant work, it might be reasonable to pay the extra $ for the dealer service, especially while it is still under warranty (e.g., good idea to build up a relationship with the dealer). I have also found that the dealer (at least the Lexus dealer here in South California) does a lot more than just change the oil for service (e.g., I've watched them go front to back and check the torque on all the suspension bolt). I've also had good luck with them only recommended work that is actually needed (they actually recommended not doing a brake job that I had thought was due). I realize that not all dealers can be trusted but so far I've had good luck with our Lexus dealer.

Gus ('99 RX300)

P.S. By the way, the 30 and 60,000 mile services are the big ones (e.g., more like $400 to $600)

Reply to
Gus

I agree. Look carefully to what has to REALLY be done. Usually it's just a glorified oil change. A have a friend who has been driving the Lexus ES300 since 1998 and had a 1990 ES250 before that. He does only the bare miminum and never has spent $1 on "repairs". Maintain, but do not overmaintain.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

FWIW - I purchased an RX-330 in Feb. The dealer I purchased from gave me "free scheduled service" for 2 years or 25k miles. I'm not totally sure how far the "free" or "scheduled service" goes but I didn't have to pay a penny for my 5k oil change.

Reply to
KJB

I would not recommend Jiffy... they have a high rate of screw ups - like forgetting to put the oil cap back on, etc...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Stay away from Jiffy Jube. They done an oil change on my neighbor's car and forgot to put the OIL in, and then tried to weasel their way out of paying for that engine!

Reply to
Michael MacMahon

With most cars, you don't need to go to the dealer for routine maintenance. There are other places that can handle it, and they frequently charge less. Just keep all your itemized receipts showing what was done, the date, mileage, etc. Receipts might be needed if you have any warranty or lemon law claims. Make sure they are prepared and trained to take care of your car. Al

Reply to
Al

thanks for all the info. in additional to the oil change, i consider i got a $200 car wash. i won't do any 'extra work' and waste money anymore. it's just the dealer made me feel like i am not taking care of my car. :) by the way, the loaner ES i got from the dealer is really nice. now I want to buy another Lexus..

Reply to
bw

Exactly. They try to make you feel like you aren't taking care of your car. But it's just a setup. In the real world, change the fluids, document the changes and drive on. Odds are that you won't have a serious warranty claim ANYWAY and if you do they'll still cover it. And when the vehicle has 70K,

80K, 90K etc miles and you sell it, the buyer doesn't give a rats tailpipe if the dealer "inspected" the fan belt at 30,000 miles. I've owned luxury cars from new to about 70,000 miles and can tell you for a fact that resale value is the same as long as the fluids are changed...and no better if you have the "inspections" done.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer