1990 Lexus ES250

I just purshased this car with 117,000 miles rathar hastily.

Help! Help!

I have a few problems and would appreciate any helpful feedback.

The transmission shifts hard from 1st to second(used transmission put in a month and half ago, but warranty not transferable. What can I do to remedy this without costly repair?

I have a whining sound coming from the power steering unit when cold. After it warms up a bit, it diminishes and eventually goes away. Can this be fixed without a costly repair?

There are squeaks and rattles when I hit speed bumps or other intrusive road defects. The shocks seem good. What else could it be?

Does anyone know any forums where Lexus 250 owners can go to talk about their problems?

my email is snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com. Feel free to email me please if you can help with any of my questions.

Is there really any difference between the toyota camry and the lexus 250(1990, 1991) other than luxury items? Are parts interchangeable?

Reply to
harryaf

Can you identify where the squeaks and rattles are coming from?

Reply to
Tyrone Z.

There are multiple things that could cause this. I would take it back to the people who did the work and see if you could get them to give you a break since it has only been 1.5 months. Make sure the second fluid resevoir for the differential is full.

These are a weak point on Toyotas and Lexus from this era. Power pump and power pump hoses are common repairs and not cheap. At a minimum, you could try flushing and replacing the PS fluid.

The squeaking and squwaking is a well known issue with these cars. The majority of this noise can probably be traced to the rubber bushings for the front and rear anti sway bars. You can take them out and re-grease them or just replace them. It will eventually come back though.

There was one on Yahoo Groups but it died due to lack of activity. Start following the Toyota Camry newgroups and pay attention to the 88-91 V6 postings since they are so similar.

The majority of the mechanical parts are the same, but not all (the EGR system, window lifts, exhaust system for instance). Always investigate first and buy the Camry part when they appear to be the same. Have you car worked on by qualified independent Camry mechanics as opposed to Lexus dealers.

Reply to
-

Also, get a Chilton or Haynes repair manual for the 88-91 Camry. I found Chiltons to be better for me. For $10, it can help in many situations. You can often find the official_printed_Lexus shop manual for sale on Ebay. Watch out for cheap immitations or ripoff CDs.

Reply to
-