1990 Lexus LS 400 (V-8)

My neighbor lady is requiring help learning to change the oil in her 1990 Lexus LS 400 (V-8). I'm not familiar with her car but I've done quite a few oil changes (I do my own vehicles religiously.) Us gals gotta stick together so I've offered my tools and assistance. :)

If anyone can offer tips for this vehicle I'd be appreciative. (I have not even looked under the hood yet... no clue if the filter's a bear to get to or what... eeps!)

The thing I need to know most: what's the drain/fill capacity of this car? She's looking high and low for the owner's manual but those things are often written poorly (mine says 3 quarts when it really takes 5, go figure.) Any info, thanks in advance folks!

Reply to
Pookerz

The filter's a little tricky to reach at first but it's a snap after a few change. Just remember not to over-thread it - it will be a PITA later. 5 quarts of Mobile1 is all she needs (technically, it's 4.8 or something but 5's the norm).

GOD, I miss that magic carpet, i mean car...........

Reply to
doubleq

Duh Dept: Make that "Mobil"..... if that's what she's planning on running.

Reply to
doubleq

Hehe... She's buying the oil- I think she's going with dino juice rather than synthetic (low income, and not much driving around, no real use for the extra cost) and with 10w30 for this climate. I'll have her get 5 quarts then. (THANKS!) Just got under the hood and poked around and saw how tight a squeeze it'll be to get at the filter from below, so what I think I will do is drain the oil first on level ground, then put it up on jack stands in front to get at the filter once it's drained sufficiently (I'm thin but the ground clearance is a bit low for even me.)

She's never done any auto maintenance before and her husband's no gear-head. I'm going to show her how to clean the engine bay while we're at it (it's a real grime-pit.)

Know all about the over-threading it. Finger-tight, then half a turn. :) Similar with the drain plug. I've never lost a drop and always been able to get the things off next oil change. Thanks for the speedy input.

Reply to
Pookerz

My 90 LS400 has always used just regular oil and has clocked over 200K with few signs of slowing down. I don't change my own oil in this car, so I can not be of any help there, but I would suggest you stick to 5W30. "I" truly believe you get slightly better mpg, but it COULD BE all psychological! My car gets pretty miserable short trip, in town, gas mileage, but ~25 mph highway. If you let a shop change it, TELL them it will take ALL FIVE QUARTS. These cars DO burn a small amount of oil (even spelled out in the owners manual) under long trip, high speed conditions and if they only put 4 quarts in, you will probably have the indicator light flash out on the highway. I carry a reserve quart. Changing every 3500 mi is probably overkill, but I do it anyway. You can change the air filter yourself, but forget the spark plugs - the left side ones are a real pain in the ass. "My" timing belts replacement schedule (for this non-interference engine) is significantly longer than that recommended by Lexus ( I replaced the first one @ 120K and the one they took out, looked new - do whatever YOU feel comfortable with however - BUT replace the water pump at the same). If the power steering pump has never been replaced, watch it carefully - they tend to leak and take out the alternator. A quick, once a month inspection of the engine compartment/fluid levels can tell you a lot. If it has been a while since you drove a rear wheel drive car in the snow (and that is something you are likely to do), be careful getting use to its handling (or lack there of!).

Reply to
Jerohm

How are you going to access the drain plug if you don't elevate the car up first?

Reply to
doubleq
*grins* the oil pan is on the bottom, correct? I'm about to get started on the task right now so I'll let you guys know how we do. :) If all else fails, we go rent a lift at the Auto Hobby shop on base and do it there.
Reply to
Pookerz

You can reach it without jacks or ramps?

Reply to
doubleq

Yeah, I probably could have, but since I was showing her how to do it, I wanted the extra clearance and went ahead and put it up on jackstands (with the jack still in place, as a back-up... safety first!) Apparently she just had it changed back in May and hadn't put many miles on it yet. Oil wasn't real dark yet, no grit, no residue underneath (so the last change hadn't been leaking.) The plug and filter came off real easy (however, we definitely need to clean that engine bay, it looks like an old abandoned wreck under the hood!) Oil change successful.

She is also concerned because they just had the transmission rebuilt, and since getting it back she feels like it isn't shifting soon enough (maybe she got used to it shifting late) and the rev is a little high. It also seems to be leaking power steering fluid. They got the car used, but are trying to keep up with the maintenance (seems to have been abused.) She's been using really poor fuel in it, and I'm thinking that may be the biggest issue with the poor performance. She's really wanting to learn this stuff (like I am still.) Two wimmins working on cars while the menfolk play military, scary huh? ;)

Reply to
Pookerz

This is Turtle.

I have a 1990 Lexus LS-400 and I change the oil sometimes on it. The Cap. is 5 Qt. , i use 20-W-40 Caster oil and have 180k+ and working good, The Oil filter and drain plug can be accessed from the driver side behind the front tire, If you need elbow room drop cover on that side by the two screws holding it up , and Use Wix filters or better grade. Oh Yea The Steering rods need to be greased atleast every 20 years weither they need it or not. Ok What else ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE