1990 LS400 PS Pump ... about to fail?

About a year ago, I had the timing (and utility) belt(s), water pump, and bearings replaced. At the same time the AC sprung a leak and a sensor located beneath the passenger side headlight, was also replaced (near to PS pump and alternator). After the work on the car, I noticed that the PS pulley wobbled slightly - not loose, but maybe bent or not seated completely square. ... I can't swear it hadn't been that way for a while. ANYWAY ... now that it is getting cold, I hear a noise in the general location of the PS pump that is annoying until the car is running for fifteen minutes or so. There doesn't appear to be any leak of any kind.

TWO questions ...

1) What is the probability that the pulley could have been damaged/bent? 2) Is the startup noise a warning that failure of the PS pump is imminent?

I did verify the PS fluid level was correct and didn't notice the sound (as much) in the Summer.

Thanks for any insight ... BEFORE I get it professionally checked out.

Reply to
Jerohm

The pulley will not warp or bend on its own without being damaged, so the probability is pretty high that the pulley was damaged or bent.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for getting back to me. Let me rephrase the questions a bit...

1) Have you ever seen/known of a damaged pulley during the normal course (proper or otherwise) of maintenance ... (i.e., not collision damage). It looks to be a 'cast' part, so I would 'think' it would be pretty hard to damage. Exactly what would it take to bend one of these? Could it have realistically (easily) happened when they did the belts/water pump ... or when they were trying to get to the AC sensor?

2) IF the noises are coming from the PS Pump, what is the urgency of replacement/attention. I know a leaking PS pump can take the alternator out. Is this a "monitor the situation" or "Proceed directly... " situation?

We are talking 220K and I have already replaced the original PS Pump many moons ago.

Thanks again ... (oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving!)

Reply to
Jerohm

I have never seen or heard of a pulley getting damaged during the normal course of maintenance because a competent technician would know not to use it as a leverage point. I suspect that someone may have tried to take the tension off of the accessory drive belt by prying on the pulley. Another possibility is that someone tried to remove the pulley to change the belt (wrong method to change the belt) and bent the pulley in the process.

I would change the pump sooner rather than later if:

1) The pulley is sufficiently warped or damaged that the belt running through it rubs unevenly; 2) The belt doesn't run smoothly (you can see it ocillating); 3) You start to see moisture from PS fluid between the pulley and the PS pump housing; 4) The noise changes in amplitude (loudness) or pitch suddenly; 5) The steering starts to feel "notchy" like it is catching while turning the steering wheel; 6) Steering effort goes up

You can probably safely hold off if none of the above is happening (I listed them in what I think the order of likelihood of occurrence will be) and just monitor the pump.

You're welcome and Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Reply to
Ray O